Physics Homework Problem-Stuck

In summary, the problem involves a diver jumping from a 3.0 m board with an initial speed of 1.7 m/s. To find the velocity with which he strikes the water, the equation d=v*t + 1/2 at^2 is used, with the result being 3.06 m/s. The highest point he reaches above the water can be found by using the equation {V_f}^2 = {V_i}^2 + 2ad and substituting the values from part a and the given values for acceleration and final velocity.
shawonna23
Physics Homework Problem--Stuck!

A diver springs upward with an initial speed of 1.7 m/s from a 3.0 m board.

a. Find the velocity with which he strikes the water. (Hint: When the diver reaches the water, his displacement is y = -3.0 m (measured from the board), assuming that the downward direction is chosen as the negative direction.)

b. What is the highest point he reaches above the water?

I tried using this equation, but my answer was wrong. Can someone tell me what I did wrong?

Part a:
d=v*t + 1/2 at^2
-3.0=1.7t + 1/2(-9.80)t^2
4.9t^2 - 1.7t -3.0=0
t= 0.98s

v=d/t
v=3/0.98
v=3.06m/s

I didn't do Part b because Part a was wrong!

Physics news on Phys.org
This question was asked before by you and was answered.

He's going to travel up in the air, stop at the top, then come back down. This can be described by two equations, one going up and one going down.

For the first part:

[tex] {V_f}^2 = {V_i}^2 + 2ad [/tex]

You know the initial velocity, the final velocity (0), and the acceleration. Solve for the distance traveled.

For the second part you use the same equation, with 3 + part A as your total height. You know the rest of the numbers.

Related to Physics Homework Problem-Stuck

1. How do I approach a physics homework problem when I am stuck?

The first step is to carefully read and understand the problem. Then, draw a diagram and label all given information. Next, identify what the problem is asking for and what formulas or equations may be applicable. Finally, try to solve the problem step by step using the given information and equations.

2. What should I do if I cannot understand the given information in a physics homework problem?

If you are having trouble understanding the given information, try to break it down into smaller parts and focus on one part at a time. You can also consult your textbook or lecture notes for clarification or reach out to your teacher or classmates for help.

3. I am having difficulty solving a physics homework problem, what resources can I use for additional help?

There are many resources available for additional help with physics homework problems. You can consult online resources such as Khan Academy, YouTube tutorials, or physics forums. Your textbook and class notes can also be useful references. Additionally, you can seek help from your teacher or a tutor.

4. How do I check if my answer to a physics homework problem is correct?

You can check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation or by using a different method to solve the problem. You can also use online calculators or ask your teacher to verify your answer.

5. I am still stuck on a physics homework problem, what should I do?

If you are still stuck on a physics homework problem, take a break and come back to it with a fresh perspective. You can also try to approach the problem from a different angle or ask for help from your teacher or classmates. Remember to not get discouraged and keep trying.