Physics homework help (one question)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the average velocity for a bus trip with two different velocities and a stop in between. The suggested method is to add up the times and distances, and then calculate the average velocity using the total distance and total time. The answer should be in units of km/h. The person asking for help also expresses gratitude towards the person providing the explanation.
supermancs
I have been having trouble with this one problem... If you could supply me with an answer and possibly a brief description of your methods I would be infinately in your debt:

A bus travels 320 km south along a straight path with an average velocity of 96 km/h to the south. The bus stops for 25 min, then it travels 230 km south with an average velocity of 70 km/h to the south. What is the average velocity for the total trip? Answer in units of km/h.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Note: i might be wrong (lol)

first i would add up the times.. so time = distance/velocity. and time for the 25 minutes = 25/60.

and then add up all the distances..

and then average velocity = total distance/ total time.

hope this was helpful!

~Amy

thank you amy, I am retarted... I love you

Related to Physics homework help (one question)

What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is the rate at which an object changes its position, while acceleration is the rate at which an object changes its velocity. In simpler terms, velocity measures how fast an object is moving and in what direction, while acceleration measures how quickly the velocity is changing.

How do I calculate force?

Force is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its acceleration. The formula for force is F=ma, where F represents force, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration.

What is the difference between potential energy and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or condition, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In other words, potential energy is stored energy, while kinetic energy is energy in motion.

How does Newton's laws of motion apply to everyday life?

Newton's laws of motion apply to everyday life in many ways. For example, the first law of motion (inertia) explains why objects tend to stay at rest or in motion unless acted upon by an external force. The second law (force and acceleration) can be seen in the way objects move when a force is applied to them. The third law (action and reaction) can be seen in everyday movements, such as walking or throwing a ball.

What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is typically measured in kilograms, while weight is measured in newtons.