Physics homework -- balancing a see-saw

In summary, 20 N are needed to lift the TV and 120 N are needed to balance it on the seesaw. The weight of the TV is 12 kg.
Julia Darko
How many stones (mass=2kg) are needed to lift a TV (mass=12kg) on a seesaw? What is the weight of the stones? TV? Net force?

I DEEPLY apologize if I posted this question in the wrong section AND if this question seems idiotic and simple. I am a student in high school and I am not experienced with physics, so any help/assistance/guidance will be truly appreciate.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Julia Darko said:
How many stones (mass=2kg) are needed to lift a TV (mass=12kg) on a seesaw? What is the weight of the stones? TV? Net force?

I DEEPLY apologize if I posted this question in the wrong section AND if this question seems like an idiotic and simple. I am a student in high school and I am not experienced with physics, so any help/assistance/guidance will be truly appreciate.

Welcome to the PF, Julia.

I have moved your thread to the correct section of the PF. If you review the PF Rules/Guidelines at the Info link at the top of the page, that explains where and how to post schoolwork-type questions.

Now, on your question, you will need to sum the moments (torques) around the fulcrum of the see-saw to figure out when the moment from the stones at one end balances the moment from the TV at the other end. Have you seen the equations for torque or moments so far in your classes? Is there a figure that goes with this question?

This is all that was given to me along with those questions.
2crrg5h.png

And what have you learned about balancing moments? What are the relevant equations? Are the TV and stones the same distance from the fulcrum? Why would that matter?

I don't think distance is relevant in this particular question. I know that the weight of the stone is going to be 20 N (conceptual physics) and as for the TV, 120 N. But I don't know how MANY rocks I'm going to need to lift the TV up, nor the net force.

Julia Darko said:
I don't think distance is relevant in this particular question. I know that the weight of the stone is going to be 20 N (conceptual physics) and as for the TV, 120 N. But I don't know how MANY rocks I'm going to need to lift the TV up, nor the net force.

Yes, the distance of each weight from the fulcrum is very important. You still haven't posted the relevant equations for torque or moments...

... I was not given a specific equation, but the equations surrounding the lesson are f=ma, Ffriction=(μK)(Fnormal). Don't know if that's of any relevancy.

Julia Darko said:
... I was not given a specific equation, but the equations surrounding the lesson are f=ma, Ffriction=(μK)(Fnormal). Don't know if that's of any relevancy.

Those are involved, but not primarily. Please use wikipedia to look up the equations involved with torque and moments. That will give you what you need to solve this problem. Did your teacher seriously not show you those equations and gave you this homework problem? I'm not ragging on you, I'm just not understanding how your class is working.

Well, okay then. Sorry for wasting your time, but thank you anyway.

Related to Physics homework -- balancing a see-saw

Question 1: What is the concept of balance in physics?

The concept of balance in physics refers to the state of equilibrium where all forces acting on an object are equal and opposite, resulting in no net movement or rotation.

Question 2: How does a see-saw demonstrate the concept of balance in physics?

A see-saw is a classic example of a lever, where the weight of one object on one side is balanced by the weight of another object on the other side, as long as they are equidistant from the fulcrum.

Question 3: How can one calculate the balance point on a see-saw?

The balance point on a see-saw can be calculated using the principle of moments, where the weight of one object multiplied by its distance from the fulcrum is equal to the weight of the other object multiplied by its distance from the fulcrum.

Question 4: What factors can affect the balance of a see-saw?

The balance of a see-saw can be affected by several factors, including the weights and distances of the objects on each side, the length and position of the see-saw, and external forces such as wind or friction.

Question 5: How does balancing a see-saw relate to real-world applications in physics?

The concept of balance and the use of levers, such as see-saws, are widely used in various real-world applications in physics, such as in construction, engineering, and even in the human body (e.g. the balance of weight in the inner ear). Understanding balance is crucial in designing and building stable structures and machines.