Physics help please determining distance of box pushed

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the distance a block was pushed with a mass of 20kg and a horizontal force of 8N, resulting in a final speed of 2 m/s. The solution involves using the equations Fnet=ma, d=(t)(s), and a=(chand in velocity)/(change in time), as well as the kinematic equation Vf^2 - Vo^2 = 2*a*displacement. The final answer is incorrect, and the individual is seeking help to determine where they may have made a mistake.
lbella026

Homework Statement

A block has a mass of 20kg is at rest on the floor. This block is then pushed by a horizontal force of 8N across the floor. The final speed is 2 m/s. Determine the distance the box was pushed.

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma
d=(t)(s)
a=(chand in velocity)/(change in time)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using all three equations I found the distance to be 10m. But this answer is incorrect. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
lbella026 said:

Homework Statement

A block has a mass of 20kg is at rest on the floor. This block is then pushed by a horizontal force of 8N across the floor. The final speed is 2 m/s. Determine the distance the box was pushed.

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma
d=(t)(s)
a=(chand in velocity)/(change in time)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using all three equations I found the distance to be 10m. But this answer is incorrect. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

have you used the kinematic equation Vf^2 - Vo^2 = 2*a*displacement ?

I think you figured out acceleration a, properly...(assume we have a frictionless surface). So if you know a, Vf and Vo, you can figure out displacement (or distance the box moved).

Related to Physics help please determining distance of box pushed

What is the formula for determining distance in physics?

In physics, the formula for determining distance is d = v * t, where d is distance, v is velocity, and t is time.

How do I calculate the distance of a box that has been pushed?

To calculate the distance of a box that has been pushed, you will need to measure the time it took for the box to move and the initial velocity of the box. Then, use the formula d = v * t to calculate the distance.

What units are used to measure distance in physics?

In physics, distance is typically measured in meters (m). However, other units such as centimeters (cm) or kilometers (km) may also be used depending on the scale of the object being measured.

Can I use this formula to determine the distance of any object?

Yes, the formula d = v * t can be used to determine the distance of any object as long as you have the necessary measurements of time and velocity.

Is distance the same as displacement in physics?

No, distance and displacement are not the same in physics. Distance is the total length covered by an object while displacement is the straight-line distance between the initial and final positions of an object.