Physics for the non-physicist?

• Thread starter 20Tauri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the speaker is interested in learning physics but does not have time to take courses due to graduation and grad school. They are looking for recommendations on good physics books, preferably popular science books. They mention having a background in math and are open to suggestions on textbooks or alternative resources such as YouTube lectures or documentaries.
20Tauri
I've always meant to take some physics courses and never had the time. I'm graduating this spring and going to grad school, so I won't really be able to squeeze them into my schedule, and I doubt I'll have the free time to teach myself. I would like to read up on it, though. Can you recommend any good physics books? I'm leaning towards pop sci rather than a textbook, although I've taken a fair bit of math (multivariable calc, linear algebra, etc., currently in diff eq) and can handle books with some rigor.

Physics news on Phys.org
What if you grab a book like "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday, pick out the chapters that interest you and read through them, it's a textbook but it has pretty long explanations and the math involved is straight forward.

Or maybe if you just just want a general idea of concepts you could watch some youtube lectures or documentaries.

Related to Physics for the non-physicist?

1. What is physics?

Physics is the natural science that studies matter, energy, and the interactions between them. It is concerned with understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the universe.

2. Why should I care about physics if I'm not a physicist?

While physics may seem intimidating or irrelevant to some, it actually has a huge impact on our daily lives. It helps us understand how things work, from the motion of objects to the behavior of electricity. Without physics, many modern technologies and advancements would not be possible.

3. Is physics just a bunch of complex equations and formulas?

No, while math is an important tool in physics, it is not the only aspect. Physics also involves critical thinking, problem-solving, and experimentation. It is about understanding the world around us, not just memorizing equations.

4. Can I learn physics without a strong math background?

While having a good understanding of math can make learning physics easier, it is not a requirement. Many concepts in physics can be understood without complex math, and there are plenty of resources available for beginners to learn the necessary math skills along the way.

5. How can I apply physics to my everyday life?

Physics can be applied to many aspects of our daily lives. It can help us understand simple things like how objects move and why the sky is blue, as well as more complex topics like electricity and magnetism. By understanding the principles of physics, we can make informed decisions and solve problems in our everyday lives.