Physics for scientists and engineers

• Thread starter Shinaolord
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation revolves around the book "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Beichner. The asker is wondering if it is a good book for self-teaching calculus physics before starting college. Suggestions and opinions are requested. The conversation also mentions the upcoming start of classes and a question about posting in the physics textbook forum. The expert also provides additional information about the book and suggests checking the sticky thread for textbook suggestions. The asker is grateful for the help and will proceed with their overview.
Shinaolord
The above is the title of the book, written by Serway and Beichner. My question is this a good book to self teach calculus physics before going to college? I don't want to learn from a weak book. Any suggestions or opinions?
I start classes(calc physics) on August 24th, I would like to be prepared

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry I didn't see the physics textbook sub category

That's OK, we move threads around all the time. Now that you know where this forum is, though... :wink:

Hey JT, it won't let me post a topic in the physics and astronomy textbooks subsection. Is there anyway I can resolve this?

Threads in that forum are supposed to be focused on specific individual textbooks. Only Mentors, Science Advisors and Homework Helpers can start a new thread there. If you don't see a textbook there, suggest it in the sticky thread "Request a physics/astronomy textbook listing" at the top of that forum.

"Serway and Beichner" is listed as Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Serway and Jewett. According to amazon.com, "Serway, Beichner and Jewett" is the fifth edition, whereas the current edition (ninth) is simply "Serway and Jewett." I don't know what happened to Beichner. Maybe he died, or maybe he didn't get tenure.

Oh I see thank you for not mocking my question as simple as it was, as I am new to this forum and the rules are not hundred percent clear to me as of yet I will read over the thread as you suggested, and proceed with my overvoew

Edit: I wrote this with talk to word on my iPhone, so grammar is lacking.

Last edited:

Related to Physics for scientists and engineers

1. What is the difference between classical and modern physics?

The main difference between classical and modern physics is the approach to understanding and explaining the natural world. Classical physics, also known as Newtonian physics, is based on the laws of motion and gravity proposed by Isaac Newton in the 17th century. It deals with macroscopic objects and their interactions with each other. Modern physics, on the other hand, is based on the theories of relativity and quantum mechanics, which were developed in the 20th century. It focuses on the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

2. How does physics impact our daily lives?

Physics plays a crucial role in our daily lives as it helps us understand the natural phenomena around us. It explains the laws of motion, which are essential for designing vehicles and machines. It also helps us understand the properties of matter and energy, which are crucial for developing new technologies and materials. Additionally, physics has contributed to advancements in medicine, communication, and many other fields.

3. What are the fundamental forces of nature?

The four fundamental forces of nature are gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. Gravity is responsible for the attraction between objects with mass, while electromagnetism governs the interactions between electrically charged particles. The strong nuclear force holds the nucleus of atoms together, and the weak nuclear force is responsible for radioactive decay.

4. How does Einstein's theory of relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

Einstein's theory of relativity, specifically the theory of general relativity, revolutionized our understanding of the universe. It explains the relationship between space, time, and gravity and predicts the behavior of large objects, such as planets and stars. It also explains the concept of spacetime, where time and space are intertwined, and the effects of gravity on the curvature of spacetime.

5. What are some practical applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has numerous practical applications in our daily lives. It is the basis for many technologies, such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It also plays a crucial role in the development of new materials, such as superconductors and semiconductors. Additionally, quantum mechanics has applications in fields such as cryptography, medicine, and energy production.