Physics Experiment: Jerk & Inertia | Solving for dA/dt

In summary: This experiment is useful for understanding how force and momentum work together, and for estimating the maximum force that can be exerted on an object.
Pax
There is this experiment my high school teacher showed in physics class. You are probably aware of it
More%20inertia%20experiments2_720.jpg
(from practicalphysics.org)

There is a video of a teacher actually doing the experiment here:
https://sites.google.com/site/haatscience/physics/221-the-effect-of-inertia

Gradually pull the thread and the top thread breaks, jerk the thread and the bottom one breaks.

I tried to set up a free body diagram to show how this works, and most specifically to solve for the rate of change of acceleration (jerk) that will be the threshold between the top string breaking and the bottom.

I am at a loss, how do you put dA/dt into the equations?

Any ideas?

Attachments

• More%20inertia%20experiments2_720.jpg
    More%20inertia%20experiments2_720.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 782
Likes FactChecker
Physics news on Phys.org
This one seems to be an experiment where you could model it as a tension that is applied. With a sudden jerk, the tension in the bottom string could be modeled as a delta function: ## T_1(t)=T_{10} \delta (t) ##. Because much of this is absorbed by the acceleration of the mass, the tension in the top string ## T_2 ## never reaches anywhere near the large value, basically infinite, of the ## T_1(t) ## with its delta function. ## \\ ## (In principle, you could limit ## T_1(t) ## to a finite value, by using some other function with characteristics similar to a delta function. For what gets transferred to the mass with a quick jerk, it is basically the impulse which is the integral ## I=\int T_1(t) \, dt ##).## \\ ## Meanwhile, elasticity equations are needed for the top string: ## T_2=k (x-L) ## where ## x ## is the position of the mass ## M ## (with origin ## x=0 ## at the top position of the attachment of the string), and ## L ## is the length of the string with no mass attached. ## \\ ## The mass ## M ## has ## Mg+T_ 1-T_2=M \ddot{x}=Mg+T_{10} \delta(t)-k(x-L) ## , with initial conditions that ## Mg= k(x_o-L) ##. ## \\ ## You can solve for ## x(t) ## , and then for ## T_2(t)=k(x-L) ##. ## \\ ## Anyway, I haven't solved these equations, but I think they would give the necessary result. ## \\ ## Edit, along with a correction to my first attempt at a solution here: ## \\ ## I get for ## t \leq 0 ##, that ## x(t)= \frac{Mg}{k}+L##, and ## T_2(t)=Mg ## , ## \\ ## and for ## t>0 ##, an impulse has been added to the mass ## M ##, giving it an initial velocity, but no immediate change in position occurs. After that mass ## M ## performs simple harmonic motion with this energy that it has acquired. You can compute the maximum ## x ## that occurs in the simple harmonic motion, and thereby compute ## T_{2 \, max}=k (x_{max}-L) ##. I get, with a quick calculation, that the simple harmonic motion (at frequency ## \omega=\sqrt{\frac{k}{M}} ## ) has amplitude ## \frac{T_{10}}{\sqrt{kM}} ##, so that ## \\ ## ## x_{max}-L=\frac{T_{10}}{\sqrt{kM}} +\frac{Mg}{k} ##, and that ## T_{2 \, max}=T_{10} \sqrt{ \frac{k}{M}}+Mg ##. ## \\ ## For most cases, with a quick jerk, ## T_{2 \, max} <<T_{1 \, max} ##. ## \\ ## Meanwhile, with a steady pull on ## T_1 ## the tension ## T_2=T_1+Mg ##, and ## T_2 ## (the tension in the upper string) is larger and the upper string breaks.

Last edited:

Related to Physics Experiment: Jerk & Inertia | Solving for dA/dt

What is the purpose of this physics experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to study the concepts of jerk and inertia, and to learn how to solve for the derivative of acceleration with respect to time (dA/dt).

What equipment is needed to conduct this experiment?

To conduct this experiment, you will need a measurement device such as a stopwatch or motion sensor, a ruler or measuring tape, and a stationary object with a known mass.

How is jerk defined in physics?

In physics, jerk is defined as the rate of change of acceleration with respect to time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's acceleration is changing.

What is the importance of understanding inertia in this experiment?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. In this experiment, understanding inertia is crucial as it helps us better understand how an object's acceleration changes over time.

How can this experiment be applied in real-world situations?

This experiment can be applied in various real-world situations, such as studying the movement of objects in sports, analyzing the performance of vehicles, or predicting the trajectory of a projectile. It can also be used in engineering and design to improve the efficiency and safety of machines and structures.