Physics competition between two geniuses

In summary, both Newton and da Vinci were very talented physicists, but Newton is the superior physicist.

Who's smarter at physics: Newton or da Vinci?

• Sir Isaac Newton.

Votes: 34 85.0%
  • Leonardo da Vinci.

Votes: 6 15.0%

• Total voters
jhooper3581
Who is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think there is very little question that Newton was orders of magnitude smarter than Da Vinci.

I give up. Who?

Neither. They are equally disengaged.

I have decided that Newton dominates da Vinci at physics.

Phrak, think about it. Newton is a physics genius, and da Vinci is nowhere the level of Newton's genius.

So how many physical laws does Da Vinci have named after him?

I rest my case.

Topher925, da Vinci might have worked on a little bit of physics too back in Renaissance times, but his work is no where near Newton's physical laws. So, you agree with me that Newton is better at physics, right? :wink:

No contest

Newton

This is like Brock Lesnar fighting BJ Penn.

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

How can you compare these two men? They are separated by several generations, with the likes of Galileo coming in between. Much of what a single man can do is determined by what has been done before. Newton had the benefit of reading about the life and methods of both Galileo and DaVinci. This was the beginning of the continual piling up of knowledge. The result of this is that we can learn the life works on any of these men in a few months of study.

One "smarter" then the other? We can not meaningfully measure the intelligence of people currently living, how can you possibly compare the intelligences of men long dead?

Integral, I don't have any clue why in the world some people reply to a topic such as "Can't compare . . . blahblahblah and why why why". Why is this so common?

The thread was about who's smarter at physics, and the fact is that Newton is the smarter one for physics than da Vinci. Admit it.

Topher925 said:
So how many physical laws does Da Vinci have named after him?

I rest my case.

i think da vinci worked with lunes lunes in geometry...

...search search... aha:
http://www.hypatiamaze.org/leonardo/leo_lune.html
http://www.hypatiamaze.org/leonardo/leo_lune2.html

other than that stuff he didn't do much in math & i doubt he did anything like what Newton did

Last edited by a moderator:
Could Newton paint?

I don't remember DaVinci ever trying to pass himself off as a physicist. Dumb poll, IMHO.

This is off topic but "da Vinci" wasn't Leonardo's last name, da Vinci is added to the end of his name because he was from the Italian town of Vinci. Calling Leonardo da Vinci by "da Vinci" is like calling Archimedes of Syracuse by "of Syracuse."

To the OP: You are comparing a top-notch theoretician to a top-notch inventor, engineer, and artisan. I know who I'd rather have designing the fortifications of my city.

Who is more talented? Stephen Hawking or Tiger Woods. Pick one.

Neither, Archimedes is the smartest.

Cyclovenom said:
Neither, Archimedes is the smartest.

Hmmm

I think a better poll would have put Isaac Newton up against someone WHO WAS ACTUALLY A PHYSICIST...

This is like asking Einstein Vs. Edison

Instead of you guys complaining, why not just talk about the physics competition between Newton and Leonardo?

In all fairness, it was Da Vinci who from first principles concluded he would be thought of as a worse physicist than Newton in 400 years

not to misestimate Newton’s achievements, but how about comparing him to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alhazen" ?, I believe the later was the first who use the scientific method...

here’s a talk about him by prof. Jim Al-Khalili
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2LYRdD_bSU

Last edited by a moderator:
Isaac Newton, hands down. da Vinci may have had quite a bit of insight, but Newton, at least in my knowledge, was the only of the two to make great strides based on his insight.
**first post!**

this is the dumbest poll ever, so I'll vote for Da Vinci in defiance

jhooper3581 said:
Integral, I don't have any clue why in the world some people reply to a topic such as "Can't compare . . . blahblahblah and why why why". Why is this so common?

The thread was about who's smarter at physics, and the fact is that Newton is the smarter one for physics than da Vinci. Admit it.

Why did you ask the question when you already know the answer?

I ll go with what integral said.

emyt said:
this is the dumbest poll ever, so I'll vote for Da Vinci in defiance

hahaha me too! Defiant 'till I die.

I thought there was an actual physics competition going on when I read the title. Caught my attention. I hate you jhooper3581.

Related to Physics competition between two geniuses

1. What is a physics competition between two geniuses?

A physics competition between two geniuses is a challenge or contest where two highly skilled and knowledgeable individuals in the field of physics compete against each other to solve complex problems or demonstrate their understanding of various physics concepts.

2. How is the winner of a physics competition determined?

The winner of a physics competition is typically determined by a panel of judges who evaluate the competitors' solutions or performances based on predefined criteria. In some cases, the winner may also be determined by popular vote or audience participation.

3. What are some common types of challenges in a physics competition?

Some common types of challenges in a physics competition include problem-solving tasks, experimental design and execution, mathematical modeling, and creative demonstrations of physical principles.

4. Can anyone participate in a physics competition between two geniuses?

Yes, in most cases, anyone with a strong understanding of physics can participate in a physics competition between two geniuses. However, some competitions may have specific eligibility criteria, such as age or level of education.

5. Are there any famous examples of physics competitions between two geniuses?

Yes, one of the most famous examples is the 1921 debate between Albert Einstein and Niels Bohr on quantum mechanics. Another well-known example is the rivalry between Isaac Newton and Gottfried Leibniz over the invention of calculus.