Physics -- Change in Internal Energy Help

In summary, the internal energy of an ideal two-atomic gas is calculated using the formula dU=(3/2)nRdT. Whether the gas is diatomic or monoatomic does not affect the solution. In this problem, the first law of thermodynamics is used to determine the change in internal energy, and it is found to be -1500.
MauricioValdez

Homework Statement

[/B]
Okay guys I have attached a picture of my work.

I guess my question really is, if they are telling me that Cp =7/2 am I allowed to assume that I am dealing with a diatomic gas? If so, that would change my equation to (5/2) instead of (3/2) correct? and therefore my answer would be right.

Homework Equations

[/B]
dU=(3/2)nRdT

The Attempt at a Solution

i have attached my work. My first part is right and second is wrong

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 8.20.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 8.20.38 PM.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 395
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 8.18.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 8.18.39 PM.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 447
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
MauricioValdez said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
Okay guys I have attached a picture of my work.

I guess my question really is, if they are telling me that Cp =7/2 am I allowed to assume that I am dealing with a diatomic gas? If so, that would change my equation to (5/2) instead of (3/2) correct? and therefore my answer would be right.

Homework Equations

[/B]
dU=(3/2)nRdT

The Attempt at a Solution

i have attached my work. My first part is right and second is wrong

The internal energy of an ideal two-atomic gas is Cv n T and Cv=Cp-R.

Making the determination of whether the gas is diatomic or monoatomic is irrelevant to solving this problem. The first law tells us that:$$\Delta U=Q-W=Q+600$$
For one mole of an ideal gas:$$\Delta U=C_v\Delta T$$and $$\Delta H=C_p\Delta T$$If the process is isobaric, then $$Q=\Delta H$$So, combining these equations, we have$$C_v\Delta T=C_p\Delta T+600$$So, $$(C_p-C_v)\Delta T=-600$$ But, $$C_p-C_v=R$$Therefore, $$R\Delta T=-600$$and $$\Delta U=C_v\Delta T=(C_p-R)\Delta T=\left(\frac{7}{2}-1\right)R\Delta T=-1500$$

Related to Physics -- Change in Internal Energy Help

1. What is internal energy in physics?

Internal energy is the total energy stored within a system, including the kinetic and potential energies of all its particles.

2. How is the internal energy of a system changed?

The internal energy of a system can be changed through various processes, such as heating or cooling, work done on or by the system, or chemical reactions.

3. What is the equation for change in internal energy?

The equation for change in internal energy is ΔU = Q + W, where ΔU is the change in internal energy, Q is the heat added to the system, and W is the work done on the system.

4. How is heat related to internal energy?

Heat is a form of energy that can transfer to or from a system, causing a change in the internal energy of the system.

5. Can internal energy be negative?

Yes, internal energy can be negative if the system loses energy through work done by the system or heat released from the system.