Physics Articles - Abstracts for SR and GR Papers

In summary: Thanks.Some remarks on a nongeometrical interpretation of gravity and the flatness problemIn summary, the author presents an interesting nongeometrical interpretation of gravity and the flatness problem. They discuss some of the implications of this theory.
pmb_phy
As I mentioned a while back I was starting a new project so I wouldn't be posting much until I was finished. The project was for me to take all my files (all physics articles) from the two draws in my cabinet and scan them and place them in PDF files. That work is now complete. The list of articles is found at

http://www.geocities.com/physics_world/articles.htm

If you wish to read any of them please PM me and I'll be happy to e-mail them. A good portion of them are in special and general relativity.

Pete

Physics news on Phys.org
Must be popular - I tried to take a look at what you had, and you'd exceeded your data transfer limit...

pervect said:
Must be popular - I tried to take a look at what you had, and you'd exceeded your data transfer limit...
I can't figure out why that happened. The file is small in kb but massive in the list of articles. I just checked it now and it is working fine. I guess the time limit is over.

Is this okay with the forum? I know people tread lightlly here when journal articles are passed. They seem to worry about copy right infringments. Do you have any objections pervect? I hope not since this is a great resource for this site. It'd be easier if I sent the forum a CD with the journals on them and they could keep them readily accesible since many people don't wish to give away their e-mail address or simply refuse to PM certain people for whatever reason. If this seems interesting enough and doable then the forum would have ready access to many famous physics articles and a huge selection of articles to choose from. I understand that your a moderator now (congradulations!:smile: ) so what do you, as a moderator, think about this idea?

Best wishes

Pete

Wouldn't it be nice if we could just assume copyright restrictions had expired on everything more than.. I don't know, 20-50 years old?

cesiumfrog said:
Wouldn't it be nice if we could just assume copyright restrictions had expired on everything more than.. I don't know, 20-50 years old?

Yeah, copyrights should be like patents. They should just fade away. Same goes for music. *Puts on "In A Gadda Da Vita"*

I'm clean with my conscience as I'm not intending any commerical use, but the law in this area is pretty confused. I suppose I ought to report this issue to the powers that be at PF and see what they think.

pervect said:
I'm clean with my conscience as I'm not intending any commerical use, but the law in this area is pretty confused. I suppose I ought to report this issue to the powers that be at PF and see what they think.
In that case I recommend that people bookmark that page since it has some really interesting stuff in it and they can always contact me and I can e-mail them the article. And not to worry for the forum because all that has to be done to make them non-accessible is to delete the URL.

Pete

A good list!
I am also glad to see that one of my papers is also there. :smile:

Demystifier said:
A good list!
Thanks. It also refleccts my personal interests in physics over the last 9 years.
Really? Which paper is that? Or do you wish to keep your identity private?

Pete

I have already uncovered my identity several times on this forum.
It is the paper with the title "Relativistic contraction of an accelerated rod".

Demystifier said:
I have already uncovered my identity several times on this forum.
Sorry but I never caught a glimpse at those responses where you uncovered your identity.Thanks for filling me in this time. Much appreciated.
It is the paper with the title "Relativistic contraction of an accelerated rod".

Pete

Demystifier,

An interesting paper:

Some remarks on a nongeometrical interpretation of gravity and the flatness problem
http://aps.arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9901057

I'm reminded of the papers by the Geometric Calculus guys. For instance:

http://modelingnts.la.asu.edu/pdf/GTG.w.GC.FP.pdf
http://modelingnts.la.asu.edu/pdf/SpacetimeGeometry.w.GC.proc.pdf
http://www.mrao.cam.ac.uk/publications/annrep95/node18.html
http://www.mrao.cam.ac.uk/~clifford/publications/ps/gravity.pdf
http://www.journals.royalsoc.ac.uk/content/8tm5ve16mq48xjpw/

This is why I wrote the Painleve gravity simulator.

Carl

Last edited by a moderator:
Demystifier said:
A good list!
I've decided to make an identical list but this one containing the abstracts. I believe that would be of great help to the users of the web page.

Pete

Related to Physics Articles - Abstracts for SR and GR Papers

1. What is the difference between special relativity and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in inertial (non-accelerating) reference frames, while general relativity extends these laws to include accelerated reference frames and the effects of gravity.

2. How does the theory of relativity impact our understanding of time and space?

The theory of relativity showed that time and space are not absolute, but rather are relative to the observer's frame of reference. It also showed that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion.

3. What is the significance of Einstein's famous equation, E=mc²?

This equation, also known as the mass-energy equivalence, shows that mass and energy are equivalent and can be converted into one another. It has had significant implications in the development of nuclear energy and the understanding of the universe.

4. How does quantum mechanics relate to the principles of relativity?

Quantum mechanics deals with the behavior of particles on a very small scale, while relativity deals with the behavior of objects on a large scale. They are both fundamental theories in physics, but they have different principles and are not fully compatible with each other.

5. What are some real-world applications of relativity?

Relativity has been used to develop navigational systems such as GPS, which relies on precise time measurements. It has also been used in the development of particle accelerators and in the study of black holes and the universe as a whole.