Physical relays required from SOP with 2 outputs

• Thread starter littlej040
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physical
In summary: Yes, this would work. I would use a switch to toggle the relays on and off to avoid any inadvertent power draw. Additionally, I would use a diode to select which low/high combination would drive current through the coil. In summary, you would use a switch to toggle the relays on and off, and then use a diode to select which low/high combination would drive current through the coil.
littlej040
Hi all,

I'm looking to control two outputs using (3) 12 V coil relays, with the SOP of the truth table listed as below:

A' B C' + A' B C
simplified to:
= A' B ( C + C')
= A' B ----> Y0

A B C' + A' B C'
simplified to:
= B C' (A + A')
=B C' ------> Y1

The problem I am having is to spec out the required relays to make this work. As you can see input B is common to both outputs, so I am expecting to use a DPDT for Relay B, but am not completely certain.

Any help provided with specing the required relays and the wiring is greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I made a mistake, I would be using a SPDT relay for "input B", in this case an indication of when a blower is turning on. I am getting a bit befuddled on my wiring from the relay contacts from input A -> input B however.

Anyone have any input?

littlej040 said:
Hi all,

I'm looking to control two outputs using (3) 12 V coil relays, with the SOP of the truth table listed as below:

A' B C' + A' B C
simplified to:
= A' B ( C + C')
= A' B ----> Y0

A B C' + A' B C'
simplified to:
= B C' (A + A')
=B C' ------> Y1

The problem I am having is to spec out the required relays to make this work. As you can see input B is common to both outputs, so I am expecting to use a DPDT for Relay B, but am not completely certain.

Any help provided with specing the required relays and the wiring is greatly appreciated.

littlej040 said:
I made a mistake, I would be using a SPDT relay for "input B", in this case an indication of when a blower is turning on. I am getting a bit befuddled on my wiring from the relay contacts from input A -> input B however.

What is the context of the question? What is the application?

Are you saying that you have to use the inputs straight to the relays, instead of using logic gates to give you a single signal to drive each relay? Why?

The application is for a biological safety cabinet in which I am trying to control power to an external airflow monitor and blower enabling switch. I am limited to using strictly relay logic vs. other methods due to the fact that I will have to be doing this as an "in field" replacement kit for some of our older products.

I would have much preferred to do this with a simple PLC program, but am limited by what the customers have. I keep running down the same road where I am trying to switch outputs simply using dry relay contacts, but realize I need to daisy chain contacts to the conditional relays coils.

littlej040 said:
The application is for a biological safety cabinet in which I am trying to control power to an external airflow monitor and blower enabling switch. I am limited to using strictly relay logic vs. other methods due to the fact that I will have to be doing this as an "in field" replacement kit for some of our older products.

I would have much preferred to do this with a simple PLC program, but am limited by what the customers have. I keep running down the same road where I am trying to switch outputs simply using dry relay contacts, but realize I need to daisy chain contacts to the conditional relays coils.

So it looks like for each of the relays, you need one input low and the other input high. Can you use this low/high combination to drive the ends of the coil for each relay? You can put a diode in series to select which low/high combination will drive current through the coil.

Related to Physical relays required from SOP with 2 outputs

1. What is a physical relay?

A physical relay is an electrical switch that is controlled by an electric current. It is used to open or close a circuit, allowing or stopping the flow of electricity.

2. What is the purpose of a physical relay in a SOP with 2 outputs?

In a SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) with 2 outputs, a physical relay is used to control the flow of electricity to different devices or components. It acts as a switch, allowing the current to flow to one output while blocking it from the other output.

3. How does a physical relay work?

A physical relay consists of an electromagnet, an armature, and a set of contacts. When an electric current is applied to the electromagnet, it creates a magnetic field that attracts the armature, causing it to move and close the contacts. This completes the circuit and allows the current to flow. When the current is turned off, the magnetic field disappears, and the armature returns to its original position, opening the contacts and stopping the flow of electricity.

4. What are the advantages of using physical relays in a SOP with 2 outputs?

Physical relays offer several advantages in a SOP with 2 outputs. They are reliable, durable, and have a long lifespan. They also provide electrical isolation, meaning that the current flowing through one output will not affect the other output. Additionally, they can handle high voltages and currents, making them suitable for a wide range of applications.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using physical relays in a SOP with 2 outputs?

One drawback of using physical relays in a SOP with 2 outputs is that they have a limited switching speed. This means that they may not be suitable for applications that require very fast switching. They also consume power when in the closed state, which can lead to energy waste in some cases. Additionally, they may produce electromagnetic interference (EMI) when switching, which can affect other electronic devices in the vicinity.