Physical Intuitions for the k-epsilon Turbulence Model

In summary, the k-epsilon transport equations involve various terms related to the production and dissipation of turbulent kinetic energy. One helpful resource for understanding these equations is the book "Turbulence Modeling for CFD" by David C. Wilcox. The double contraction of the strain rate tensor represents the transfer of energy from the mean flow to turbulence, while the term ##\epsilon^2/k## accounts for the dissipation of turbulent energy. The k-omega model uses different assumptions than the k-epsilon model, leading to different predictions for turbulence intensity and length scales.
Twigg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hey all!

I am trying to understand the terms in the source-side of the k-epsilon transport equations. My only reference on this so far has been the wikipedia article (in my defense, it's not in Landau! the gospel has forsaken me :cry:). If you have a reference that goes into gory detail on the transport equations, that'll probably answer my questions.

But my specific questions are:
1) How is the double contraction of the strain rate tensor related to "production of k (or epsilon)"? My gut reaction is that eddy viscosity times strain rate is Reynolds stress, and Reynolds stress contracted with strain rate is somehow like a "turbulent work" thingy, but I'd like to know more. Also that doesn't explain the term in the epsilon transport equation.

2) How is ##\epsilon^2/k## related to the rate of decay of ##\epsilon##? I get the dimensions are right, but is that all there is to it?

3) How is ##\epsilon## different from ##\omega## in the k-omega model?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I can definitely understand your confusion about the terms in the source-side of the k-epsilon transport equations. It can be a bit overwhelming to try and understand all the different terms and their relationships. Fortunately, there are some great resources available that can help you dive deeper into this topic.

One reference that I would highly recommend is the book "Turbulence Modeling for CFD" by David C. Wilcox. It provides a comprehensive and in-depth explanation of the k-epsilon transport equations, including the source terms. It also includes derivations and explanations for each term, which can be very helpful in understanding their physical significance.

To answer your specific questions:

1) The double contraction of the strain rate tensor is related to the "production of k (or epsilon)" in the sense that it represents the transfer of kinetic energy from the mean flow to the turbulence. This is often referred to as "turbulent production" and is represented by the term eddy viscosity times strain rate. The Reynolds stress term, on the other hand, represents the transport of momentum by the turbulent eddies.

2) The term ##\epsilon^2/k## in the epsilon transport equation is related to the rate of decay of ##\epsilon## in the sense that it represents the dissipation of turbulent kinetic energy. This term essentially accounts for the loss of energy due to the dissipation of turbulent eddies, which leads to a decrease in the overall turbulence intensity.

3) In the k-omega model, ##\epsilon## and ##\omega## are both variables used to model the turbulent kinetic energy and dissipation rate, respectively. However, the main difference between them is that ##\epsilon## is based on the k-epsilon model, which uses the eddy viscosity assumption, while ##\omega## is based on the k-omega model, which uses the eddy diffusivity assumption. This can lead to different predictions for the turbulence intensity and length scales in different flow situations.

I hope this helps clarify some of your questions. Again, I would highly recommend checking out the book I mentioned for a more detailed explanation of the k-epsilon transport equations. Best of luck with your research!

Related to Physical Intuitions for the k-epsilon Turbulence Model

1. What is the k-epsilon turbulence model?

The k-epsilon turbulence model is a widely used mathematical model for simulating turbulent flow in fluid dynamics. It is based on the Reynolds-averaged Navier-Stokes equations and is used to predict the mean flow properties of a turbulent flow.

2. How does the k-epsilon turbulence model work?

The k-epsilon turbulence model works by solving two equations for the turbulent kinetic energy (k) and the rate of dissipation of kinetic energy (epsilon). These equations take into account the effects of turbulence on the mean flow properties, such as velocity and pressure.

3. What are the physical intuitions behind the k-epsilon turbulence model?

The k-epsilon turbulence model is based on the physical intuition that turbulent flows consist of small eddies or vortices that transfer energy from larger scales to smaller scales. The model also takes into account the dissipation of energy due to viscosity and the production of turbulence through shear and strain in the flow.

4. What are the limitations of the k-epsilon turbulence model?

While the k-epsilon turbulence model is widely used and has been successful in many applications, it does have limitations. It is most accurate for flows with moderate to high Reynolds numbers and does not account for some important features of turbulence, such as intermittency and anisotropy. It also requires certain assumptions and simplifications, which may not always hold true in real-world situations.

5. How is the k-epsilon turbulence model validated?

The k-epsilon turbulence model is validated by comparing its predictions to experimental data or more advanced turbulence models, such as large eddy simulation. It is also validated by its successful application in various engineering and scientific fields, such as aerodynamics, hydraulics, and atmospheric sciences.