Physical interpretation for this? (dynamics of Newton's method)

In summary, the conversation is about the possibility of a physical interpretation of the mathematical concepts being studied, specifically Newton's method for a class of functions. There is a discussion about the dynamics of this process and potential interpretations, with one person sharing their thoughts and another offering a possible perspective from a mathematical standpoint. The conversation ends with an invitation for further ideas and discussion on the topic.
Unkraut
Hello!
I'm a math student, currently trying to write my diploma thesis. My field of study is complex dynamics (iteration of holomorphic/meromorphic functions, Julia sets and stuff).
It's a farfetched idea, but currently I'm curious about a potential physical interpretation of the things I'm looking at.
Specifically I'm studying Newton's method for a certain class of functions.
Remember, Newton's method for a function f is given by [itex]N(z)=z-\frac{f(z)}{f'(z)}=z-\frac{1}{(\log\circ f)'(z)}[/itex].
For example, when f is a polynomial, [itex]f(z)=\prod_{k=1}^n(z-z_k)[/itex], then Newton's method is [itex]N(z)=z-(\sum_{k=1}^n\frac{1}{z-z_k})^{-1}[/itex]
Each root of [itex]f[/itex] is an attracting fixed point for N and has some "basin of attraction" of starting values which will converge to said fixed point under iteration of N.
The term [itex]\sum_{k=1}^n\frac{1}{z-z_k}[/itex] could be interpreted as an electric force field (at the point z) in the complex plane emanated by equal point charges at the points [itex]z_k[/itex], except that the force direction is altered by complex conjugation ([itex]\sum_{k=1}^n\frac{1}{\overline{z-z_k}}[/itex] would be the proper electric field).
But we have the inverse [itex](\sum_{k=1}^n\frac{1}{z-z_k})^{-1}[/itex], so the direction of the force is alright again, but now its absolute value is inverted.

Okay, mathematical constructs don't always have any physical interpretation. It's a long shot, but I'm just asking if maybe someone has any neat physical interpretation for this kind of "discrete motion" that is given by iteration of N, i.e. moving some "particle" at location z in discrete steps in direction of the "force field" given by [itex](\sum_{k=1}^n\frac{1}{z-z_k})^{-1}[/itex]. (I know, forces act by acceleration, there's inertia and stuff, but I'm just asking if someone sees any way to make "phyiscal sense" of this kind of dynamics.)

And ideas most welcome.

Kind regards
Unkraut

Likes JFerreira
Physics news on Phys.org
I like to play with some iterations functions to produce fractals. And I also like to think about the dynamics of this process. This means that this questions is very intersting to me, and I really want to know if you find some thing on this direction.

I like to think on Newton's method in a way that I describe in what follows (please see this therad). Given the equation ##{\bf f}({\bf x})=0##, whe write it as
$$0=g(\textbf{a})=\min_{\textbf{x}\in A}{g(\textbf{x})},\qquad {g(\textbf{x})}=\frac{1}{2}\|{\bf f}({\bf x})\|^2,$$ to some continuously differentiable function ##{\bf f}:A→\mathbb{R}^p##, where ##A## is an open set of ##\mathbb{R}^m## containing ##a##. Now, if you have some differentiable curve ##{\bf u}:(a,b)→A## you can apply the chain rule to obtain
$$\frac{d\, g({\bf u}(t))}{dt}= \left\langle {\bf u}'(t), \nabla g({\bf u}(t))\right\rangle= \left\langle {\bf u}'(t),[J{\bf f}({\bf u}(t))]^*{\bf f}({\bf u}(t))\right\rangle=\left\langle J{\bf f}({\bf u}(t)){\bf u}'(t),{\bf f}({\bf u}(t))\right\rangle,$$ in which ##\langle\cdot,\cdot\rangle## means the inner product.

Now, if you choose the curve ##{\bf u} (t)## as a solution to the initial value problem $$\left\{\begin{array}{rrl}J{\bf f}({\bf u}(t)){\bf u}'(t)&=&-\alpha {\bf f}({\bf u}(t))\\ {\bf u}(0)&=&{\bf u}_0\end{array}\right., $$ to some ##\alpha>0##, then you can see that $$\frac{d\, g({\bf u}(t))}{dt}= -2\alpha g({\bf u}(t))\leq 0.$$

This means that, if ##{\bf u}(t)## describe the trajectory of a particle, then ##g({\bf u}(t))## is non increasing.

Newton's method can be viewed as a Euler method to solve numerically the previous initial value problem.

I hope that this gives some glimpse on the question.

Obs: I search on this subject on SearchOnMath and find this tread.

Last edited:

Related to Physical interpretation for this? (dynamics of Newton's method)

1. How does Newton's method work for finding roots?

Newton's method is an iterative algorithm that uses the derivative of a function to approximate the root of that function. It starts with an initial guess and then uses the tangent line at that point to find a better approximation. This process is repeated until the desired level of accuracy is achieved.

2. What is the physical interpretation of Newton's method?

The physical interpretation of Newton's method is that it represents the motion of a particle under the influence of a force. The function being analyzed can be seen as the potential energy of the particle, and the root represents the equilibrium point where the force is balanced.

3. Why is Newton's method preferred over other root-finding methods?

Newton's method is preferred over other methods because it has a fast convergence rate and is able to find both real and complex roots. It also does not require the function to be differentiable, making it more versatile in solving a wider range of problems.

4. How does the choice of initial guess affect the outcome of Newton's method?

The choice of initial guess can greatly affect the outcome of Newton's method. If the initial guess is close to the root, the algorithm will converge quickly. However, if the initial guess is far from the root or falls on a local maximum or minimum, the algorithm may not converge at all or may converge to a different root.

5. Are there any limitations to Newton's method?

Yes, there are limitations to Newton's method. It may fail to converge if the initial guess is not chosen carefully or if the function has multiple roots. It also requires the function to be differentiable, which may not always be the case in real-world problems.