Physical intepretation of mathematical impossibility

In summary, a ring rotating with angular velocity and a bead threaded onto the ring will have a position determined by the equation cos(\theta)=\frac{g}{\omega^2 r}. When omega gets small enough that the right side of the equation exceeds 1, there is a minimum value of omega below which the only fixed points are at the top and bottom of the ring. This is due to the multiple solutions of the equation and the physical requirement that the normal force must be greater than mg.
Ailo
Hi! I would appreciate your thoughts on something. :smile:

Let's say you have a ring with radius R rotating with angular velocity [tex]\omega[/tex] about a vertical axis. A little bead is threaded onto the ring, and the friction between the bead and the ring is negligible. The bead follows the ring's rotation, and will for a given [tex]\omega[/tex] place itself on a position on the ring which makes an angle [tex]\theta[/tex] with the vertical.

By applying Newton's laws, one obtains the following equations for a given omega (N is the magnitude of the normal force from the ring on the bead):

[tex] N cos(\theta) = mg [/tex]

and

[tex] N sin(\theta) = m \omega^2 (R sin(\theta)) [/tex].

This gives a formula for the cosine of theta;

[tex] cos(\theta)=\frac{g}{\omega^2 r}[/tex].

So the problem is: what is the physical intepretation of what happens when omega gets so small that the right side of the equation exceeds 1?

My thoughts are that, since N both has to balance the force of gravity and simultaneously create a centripetal acceleration, N obviously has to be larger than mg. When omega sinks below a certain value, that just isn't the case anymore. So if you were to have it at an angle theta at a high angular velocity and then gradually lower omega until you hit that lower bound, it will just slide to the bottom.

Am I right?:redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a funny one, isn't it?
I think the fallacy / flaw / loophole is that N has to be greater or equal to mg. I think that keeps physical reality from imaginary roots to the trig equation. It must mean that there is a minimum omega, below which the ring stays at the bottom.
I can't 'feel' that, though.
For a 1m radius ring, omega would need to be greater than about root g!

I think I see the problem. Look at how we solve the equations to get the formula for [tex]\theta[/tex] which you found. We take

[tex] N \cos(\theta) = mg [/tex]

and divide to get

[tex] N = \frac{mg}{\cos(\theta)} [/tex]

Then we substitute into the other equation

[tex] N \sin(\theta) = m \omega^2 R \sin(\theta) [/tex]

to get

[tex] m g \frac{\sin(\theta)}{\cos(\theta)} = m \omega^2 R \sin(\theta) [/tex]

We multiply each side by the quantity [tex] \frac{\cos(\theta)}{m \omega^2 R} [/tex] to get

[tex] \frac{g}{\omega^2 R} \sin(\theta) = \sin(\theta) \cos(\theta) [/tex]

At this point we divide by [tex] \sin(\theta) [/tex]. Now, this is only permissible when [tex] \sin(\theta) \neq 0 [/tex], so there are actually multiple solutions to this equation. There are the solutions which come from solving

[tex] \sin(\theta) = 0 [/tex]

and those which come from solving

[tex] \cos(\theta) = \frac{g}{\omega^2 R} [/tex]

The first equation always has the solutions [tex]\theta = 0[/tex] and [tex]\theta = \pi[/tex], whereas the second equation can only be solved for [tex] \omega \geq \sqrt{\frac{g}{R}} [/tex]. The second equation also only applies when we don't have [tex]\theta = 0[/tex] or [tex] \theta = \pi [/tex], as in those cases we would have divided by 0 to get it.

Physically, this corresponds to saying that there is a minimum value of [tex]\omega[/tex], below which the only fixed points are those at the top and bottom of the ring.

Looks good. I must say I had my doubts about canceling the sin thetas but I'm not too confident with what you can and what you can't do in that area. 'Back to first principles' involves going 'back' too many years!

Related to Physical intepretation of mathematical impossibility

1. What is the physical interpretation of mathematical impossibility?

The physical interpretation of mathematical impossibility refers to situations where a mathematical solution or outcome cannot be achieved due to physical constraints or limitations. In other words, it is when the laws of physics prevent a mathematical concept from being realized or observed in the physical world.

2. How do scientists determine when a mathematical concept is physically impossible?

Scientists determine the physical impossibility of a mathematical concept through rigorous testing and experimentation. They use data and observations from the physical world to confirm whether a mathematical idea can be realized or not. If the results of these tests consistently show that a concept cannot be achieved, it is deemed physically impossible.

3. Can something be mathematically possible but physically impossible?

Yes, there are cases where a concept may be mathematically possible but physically impossible. This can happen when the laws of physics restrict or prevent the realization of a mathematical idea. For example, it may be mathematically possible to travel faster than the speed of light, but it is physically impossible due to the laws of relativity.

4. How does the concept of mathematical impossibility impact scientific discoveries?

The concept of mathematical impossibility plays a crucial role in scientific discoveries. It helps scientists to understand the limitations and boundaries of the physical world and guides them in developing theories and experiments that are feasible and realistic. It also allows them to rule out ideas that are mathematically possible but physically impossible, saving time and resources in the research process.

5. Can mathematical impossibility be overcome in the future?

It is possible for mathematical impossibility to be overcome in the future through advancements in technology and scientific understanding. However, this also depends on the laws of physics and whether they can be bent or broken. Many scientists believe that certain concepts that are currently deemed mathematically impossible may one day become physically possible as our knowledge and capabilities continue to grow.