Physical Chemistry: a Molecular Approach, McQuarrie

In summary, "Physical Chemistry: a Molecular Approach" by McQuarrie is a book that focuses on providing a molecular-level understanding of physical chemistry principles and their real-world applications. It takes a unique approach by emphasizing the molecular perspective and using examples to explain complex concepts. The book is suitable for both undergraduate and graduate students and does not require a strong background in chemistry. Additional resources, such as practice problems and interactive simulations, are available on a companion website.
amb123
Opinions on this one? Specifically for the QM uninitiated. If you have other recommendations for better clarity, please comment.

Thx.
A.

Physics news on Phys.org
amb, what is your objective ?

Gokul43201 said:
amb, what is your objective ?

To not run screaming from this course again next semester.

I dropped it this semester because I just was not catching on. Suppose I was hoping to hear that a good complimentary text to this would be _ Insert name here _ .

thanks.
Angela

The book I am using is "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by A.C Philips. The Quantum Mechanics chapter in Atkins is pretty useful as well.

Related to Physical Chemistry: a Molecular Approach, McQuarrie

1. What is the main focus of "Physical Chemistry: a Molecular Approach" by McQuarrie?

The main focus of this book is to provide a molecular-level understanding of physical chemistry principles and their applications.

2. How does this book differ from other physical chemistry textbooks?

This book takes a unique approach by emphasizing the molecular perspective and using real-world examples to explain complex concepts.

3. Is "Physical Chemistry: a Molecular Approach" suitable for both undergraduate and graduate students?

Yes, this book is suitable for both undergraduate and graduate students, as it covers the fundamentals of physical chemistry in a clear and comprehensive manner.

4. Does this book require a strong background in chemistry?

While a basic understanding of chemistry is helpful, this book is designed to be accessible to students with varying levels of chemistry knowledge.

5. Are there any supplemental materials available for this book?

Yes, there are online resources such as practice problems, interactive simulations, and solutions to end-of-chapter problems that can be accessed through a companion website.