Photons, wavelengths, and ionization energy

In summary, the conversation discusses a chemistry post-lab question that involves ionization energy and the wavelength of a photon. The problem is confusing as it requires knowledge from both chemistry and physics lectures. The conversation includes the problem and a student's work, which is determined to be correct.
confusedbyphysics
This is a post-lab question for my chemistry lab but it is kind of physics too so I thought I'd post it here (the other sciences sections don't much response).. It's confusing because the questions are supposed to go along with what we are learning in the chemistry lecture, but we're behind in the lecture, so I'm trying to teach myself how to do this since we haven't learned it yet!

Here's the problem:

"The ionization energy of Li is 520 kJ/electron mole. What is the wavelength of nm of a photon having sufficient energy to remove an electron from Li? In what portion of the electromagnetic spectrum would you find such a photon?"

My work:

520 kJ = 520000 J

520000 J/mol X 1 mol / 6.02 X 10^23 photons = 8.6379 X 10^-19 J / photons

Energy = h (constant) X v (frequency)

v = E/h

v = (8.6379 X 10^-19 J/photons) / (6.626 X 10 ^-34 J/s)

v = 1.3036 X 10 15 /s

wavelength (w) = speed of light (c)/ v

w = (3 X 10^8 m/s) / (1.3036 X 10^15)

w = 2.301 m /photon X 10^9 nm/m = 230 nm

230 nm = ultraviolent rays

Does this look right? If someone could help me Id soooo appreciate it! (I need to make sure I did this right or I'll miss the next problem too because they're related)

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good ... equations used correctly.
I didn't check your calculator punching,
but your final answer is about right.

I would say that your calculations and reasoning seem to be correct. The ionization energy of an element is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from an atom in its ground state. In this case, the ionization energy of Li is 520 kJ/electron mole, meaning that 520 kJ of energy is needed to remove one mole of electrons from Li atoms.

To find the wavelength of a photon with enough energy to remove an electron from Li, we can use the equation E = hv, where E is the energy of the photon, h is Planck's constant, and v is the frequency of the photon. We can then rearrange this equation to solve for v, which gives us the frequency of the photon.

Next, we can use the equation c = fλ, where c is the speed of light, f is the frequency, and λ is the wavelength, to find the wavelength of the photon.

Based on your calculations, the wavelength of the photon is 230 nm, which falls in the ultraviolet region of the electromagnetic spectrum. This makes sense, as higher energy photons (such as those in the ultraviolet region) are needed to remove an electron from an atom.

Overall, your work and reasoning seem to be correct. Just make sure to double check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy. Keep up the good work!

Related to Photons, wavelengths, and ionization energy

1. What are photons?

Photons are particles of light that act as the fundamental unit of electromagnetic radiation. They have no mass and travel at the speed of light.

2. How are wavelengths and photons related?

Wavelengths and photons are closely related as they both pertain to the properties of light. Wavelengths refer to the distance between two successive peaks or troughs in a wave, while photons are the individual particles that make up that wave.

3. What is ionization energy?

Ionization energy is the amount of energy required to remove an electron from an atom or molecule, resulting in the formation of an ion. This energy is typically measured in electron volts (eV) or kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol).

4. How does ionization energy relate to photons and wavelengths?

Ionization energy is directly related to photons and wavelengths as it takes a certain amount of energy, typically in the form of a photon, to remove an electron from an atom or molecule. The specific wavelength of the photon determines the amount of energy it contains.

5. What factors can affect ionization energy?

There are several factors that can affect ionization energy, including the size and charge of the nucleus, the number of electrons in the atom, and the distance between the nucleus and the electron. Additionally, the wavelength and intensity of the incident light can also impact the ionization energy.