Photons coming from atoms, when electron changes levels

In summary, during a day of usual thinking and online courses, the speaker was reminded that electromagnetic waves are produced by oscillating charges, as explained by a Yale professor. This led to the realization that LED diodes emit light through the process of an electron transitioning from a higher energy to a lower energy state, creating a photon. This effect is known as electroluminescence and the color of the light is determined by the materials forming the p-n junction. The conversation also suggests that further exploration of this topic can be done in a physics-oriented subforum.
Bassalisk
Today I did the usual thinking, watched some courses online etc. and found out(or rather reminded myself) that the EM waves can be produced only when a charge oscillates.(or that's what the professor at Yale said)

But then I remembered LED diodes, and their ability to emit light. Electron goes from higher energy to lower energy state and produces a photon in process. Not until today I gave this a thought.

How come it emits a photon? Photon is a EM wave, it oscillates. So in order to emit a photon, it had to oscillate in the process?
Is this one of those answers "it just does that", "its the way it works" or is there more to it? Because all textbooks are going as deep as: change of energy: emit a photon.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Bassalisk said:
But then I remembered LED diodes, and their ability to emit light. Electron goes from higher energy to lower energy state and produces a photon in process. How come it emits a photon?
This effect is called electroluminescence and the color of the light is determined by the bandgap energy of the materials that form the p-n junction. I'm not the kind of guy you want to guide you further down this rabbit hole, but at least now you know where it is. Btw, maybe you should try a more physics oriented subforum if you want to push this? Good luck.

gnurf said:
This effect is called electroluminescence and the color of the light is determined by the bandgap energy of the materials that form the p-n junction. I'm not the kind of guy you want to guide you further down this rabbit hole, but at least now you know where it is. Btw, maybe you should try a more physics oriented subforum if you want to push this? Good luck.

Yes i posted it now in physics. I am used to this forum, because i study EE :D Thanks for the help!

Related to Photons coming from atoms, when electron changes levels

1. How does an electron changing levels in an atom produce photons?

When an electron changes levels in an atom, it moves from a higher energy state to a lower energy state. This change in energy releases a photon, which is a tiny bundle of electromagnetic energy. This photon carries the same amount of energy as the energy difference between the two levels that the electron moved between.

2. What happens to the photon after it is emitted from the atom?

After being emitted from the atom, the photon continues to travel at the speed of light until it is absorbed by another atom or particle. The absorbed energy can then be used to excite electrons in the absorbing atom, or it can be converted into heat or other forms of energy.

3. How do scientists detect and measure photons emitted from atoms?

Scientists use various instruments, such as spectrometers, to detect and measure photons emitted from atoms. These instruments use techniques such as absorption, scattering, or fluorescence to detect the presence and energy of photons. The data collected from these measurements can provide valuable information about the atoms and their energy levels.

4. Can photons be emitted from atoms in a vacuum?

Yes, photons can be emitted from atoms in a vacuum. In fact, this is a common occurrence in many scientific experiments. In a vacuum, there are fewer particles for the emitted photons to interact with, which can make their detection and measurement easier.

5. What is the relationship between an atom's energy levels and the frequency of the emitted photons?

The frequency of an emitted photon is directly related to the energy difference between the two levels that the electron moved between. This means that atoms with different energy level structures will emit photons of different frequencies. This relationship is described by the famous equation E=hf, where E is energy, h is Planck's constant, and f is frequency.