Photon Polarization: Linear vs Circular & Time-Dependent States

In summary: Therefore, the main difference between the two states is that the linearly polarized state changes its polarization angle as it moves through time, while the circularly polarized state maintains a constant polarization angle.
wotanub
So I know that a linearly polarized photon is in a state

[itex]ψ = cos(θ)\left|x\right\rangle + sin(θ)\left|y\right\rangle[/itex]

What if θ depends on time maybe something like [itex]θ\equiv\frac{E_{0}t}{\hbar}[/itex]? The polarization is linear at any time t, it rotates as time passes? Isn't that circular polarization? What's the difference between the states?

This is my attempt at an explanation:

Is it correct to say that the polarizations photons in the state I'm describing rotate as they move through time, and circularly polarized photons (in a time independent state) rotate as they move through space?

I think this would imply that if I put my photons on a polarizer and measure the intensity, it would oscillate with a frequency [itex]ω=\frac{E_{0}}{\hbar}[/itex]

Let me know if this is sound physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your explanation is correct. The linear polarized state you have described is in fact a time-dependent state which rotates through space as time passes. This state will indeed oscillate in intensity when placed on a polarizer due to the changing angle of polarization. This oscillation will occur at a frequency of ω=\frac{E_{0}}{\hbar}. In contrast, circularly polarized photons (in a time independent state) will rotate through space but not change their polarization angle. These photons will not undergo an intensity oscillation when placed on a polarizer.

Related to Photon Polarization: Linear vs Circular & Time-Dependent States

1. What is photon polarization and how does it differ between linear and circular states?

Photon polarization refers to the direction of the electric field in which a photon is oscillating. Linear polarization occurs when the electric field oscillates in a single plane, while circular polarization occurs when the electric field rotates in a circular motion. This difference in polarization is a result of the orientation of the photon's spin, which can be either parallel or perpendicular to its direction of motion.

2. How are linear and circular polarization states represented mathematically?

Linear polarization is represented by a vector, with the direction of the vector indicating the direction of the electric field. Circular polarization is represented by a complex number, with the real part representing the electric field in the horizontal direction and the imaginary part representing the electric field in the vertical direction.

3. Can photon polarization change over time?

Yes, photon polarization can change over time. This is known as time-dependent polarization and occurs when the electric field of the photon changes direction or magnitude as it travels through a medium. This change in polarization can be caused by interactions with other particles or by the properties of the medium itself.

4. How does the polarization of light affect its properties?

The polarization of light affects its properties in many ways. For example, linearly polarized light can be used to filter out unwanted light in optical devices, while circularly polarized light can be used to selectively interact with chiral molecules. Additionally, the polarization of light can also impact its speed and direction of propagation.

5. Why is photon polarization important in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the polarization of a photon is intimately linked to its spin and angular momentum, which play crucial roles in many quantum phenomena. Understanding and controlling photon polarization is essential for applications such as quantum computing and quantum communication, where the spin and polarization of photons are used to encode and transmit information.