Photoelectric effect, and sunlight.

In summary, the question is asking if the light from the sun is strong enough to knock electrons out of metal atoms, and the answer is that it depends on the frequency of the light rather than the intensity. While visible light cannot do this, X-rays and higher frequencies can knock out electrons, but they may not be able to reach the metal due to atmospheric blocking. This is known as the photoelectric effect and is described in more detail in the provided Wikipedia article.
kcajrenreb
Hello, I apologize if this question makes no sense, or is stupid, but I would just like to clarify something.

Is the light that comes from the sun a high enough intensity to "knock" any electrons out of the atoms in a metal? I know it is a high enough frequency, and I think the intensity is high enough, but I'd just like to make sure.

Thank you very much, and again I apologize if my question made little sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
The photoelectric effect is independent of intensity. A single photon can knock an electron out of metal as long as the frequency is high enough, aka it has enough energy. Intensity merely causes MORE electrons to be knocked out per unit of time.

kcajrenreb said:
Hello, I apologize if this question makes no sense, or is stupid, but I would just like to clarify something.

Is the light that comes from the sun a high enough intensity to "knock" any electrons out of the atoms in a metal? I know it is a high enough frequency, and I think the intensity is high enough, but I'd just like to make sure.

Thank you very much, and again I apologize if my question made little sense.

Visible light cant.
X-ray i think can knock out an electron of almost everything.
The problem is if they can get to your metal. most of UV and higher get blocked by the atmosphere.

Really? I thought that blue light on the visible spectrum was a high enough frequency to "knock" the electrons out of metal, I guess I thought wrong. Thanks for your answers both of you.

kcajrenreb said:
Really? I thought that blue light on the visible spectrum was a high enough frequency to "knock" the electrons out of metal, I guess I thought wrong. Thanks for your answers both of you.

From wikipedia:
When a surface is exposed to electromagnetic radiation above a certain threshold frequency (typically visible light for alkali metals, near ultraviolet for other metals, and extreme ultraviolet for non-metals), the radiation is absorbed and electrons are emitted. Light, and especially ultra-violet light, discharges negatively electrified bodies with the production of rays of the same nature as cathode rays.

The article is here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoelectric_effect

Related to Photoelectric effect, and sunlight.

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon where electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light or other electromagnetic radiation.

2. How does the photoelectric effect relate to sunlight?

Sunlight is a form of electromagnetic radiation that can cause the photoelectric effect. When sunlight hits a material, it can transfer energy to electrons and cause them to be emitted.

3. What is the significance of the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect helped to prove the particle nature of light, as it showed that light can transfer energy to electrons in a discrete manner. It also has many practical applications, such as in solar panels and photocells.

4. What factors affect the photoelectric effect?

The intensity and frequency of the incident light, as well as the properties of the material (such as work function and electron density), can affect the photoelectric effect.

5. Can the photoelectric effect be explained by classical physics?

No, the photoelectric effect cannot be fully explained by classical physics. It requires the quantum mechanical model of light, which considers light as being composed of discrete packets of energy called photons.