Photo Contest - Cuts Like A Knife (6/9-6/15)

In summary, the theme of the photo contest is "Cuts Like A Knife" and it is open to anyone interested in photography. Submissions must be original, in digital format, and adhere to the theme and guidelines. The winner will be selected by a panel of judges based on creativity, technical skill, and adherence to the theme. The prize may vary and will be announced at the start of the contest.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Cuts Like A Knife

Last week, our theme on flowers has plenty of colors and softness. This week, we go to the opposite extreme and find something "cold" and "steely". We are dealing with knives, folks. But unlike the advice given by your parents and teachers, this time, I want you to run with it!

Zz.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz

Physics news on Phys.org
http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/6962/dsc5615.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow, that is great.

Ooooh. Andy, that looks fantastic. May I ask what that picture is of?

I love knives! Essential kitchen tools! The top two are antiques, and the top one was a mess when I got it. It was so corroded and crappy-looking. I had to put hours and hours into rescuing that blade, and then gave it a gun-blue to prevent further corrosion. The next two are stainless-steel chef's knives from Thiers Issard (the only authentic Sabatier knives, IMO). The bottom two are common utility/paring knives. They are handy to have around. The blades are soft enough that they can be quickly honed on a steel.

I have some older utility/paring knives, but I have to hand it to Kuhn Rikon and Acuto. The molded plastic handles and coated blades are great to work with.

cookingknives.jpg

Last edited:
WiFO215 said:
Ooooh. Andy, that looks fantastic. May I ask what that picture is of?

Sure!- it's a scalpel, my thumb, and fake blood.

2cohagx.jpg

Think knives - I think Sheffield. I already showed some knives from there in this game.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3634305&postcount=7 . But those are knives, not like a knife.

I only ever went there once a couple of years ago, which is once more than most people who are familiar with the name and the products. Which are not made there any more. I think people are fonder of industrial museums, industrial archaeology and industrial-inspired art than they ever were really of the industries in their smoke- , chemical- and noise- polluting heyday. Thus in Sheffield quite a bit of industry-inspired art has come since the industry went. Inspiring...

You could say the water flow around the blade is redolent (got that in!) of how meat or cleaved material 'flows' around the knife. You could say that, and I expect it has been said. [STRIKE]Stupidly I didn't get the top of the thing in and it is not convenient to go back there.[/STRIKE] Note how the photographer subtly draws our vision allusively suggesting while not showing the summit of the monument. [STRIKE]It is just as you come out of the station, which not many people are doing because trains were disrupted by snow - a special kind of snow I think we have only in England called 'the wrong kind of snow' which disrupts trains. [/STRIKE] We may think that the figure on the left is reflecting on the dialectic between the hard permanence of the Sheffield steel and the transcience of the flowing water, element ever the symbol of transcience and flux, and as he reflects we reflect on his reflection and that of the bicycle captured - might one say, frozen? [STRIKE]( minus 3°)[/STRIKE] in a unique moment, the purposeful attitudes of the figures inspiring hope in the human spirit even in the midst of a bleak industrial townscape from which the industry not to mention some of the town has departed leaving only the bleak scape, which is perhaps what they will try to do.

Last edited:
Andy Resnick said:
Sure!- it's a scalpel, my thumb, and fake blood.

:-p Looks fab.

Final day to submit a photo for this contest.

Zz.

Great critique, epenguin!

Related to Photo Contest - Cuts Like A Knife (6/9-6/15)

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "Cuts Like A Knife". Participants are encouraged to submit photos that convey the feeling or concept of something that cuts deeply or causes emotional pain.

2. Who can participate in the photo contest?

The photo contest is open to anyone who is interested in photography, regardless of their level of expertise or professional background.

3. What are the submission guidelines for the photo contest?

The photo must be original and previously unpublished. It must also be in digital format and submitted through the designated submission platform. Any editing or manipulation must be disclosed. Additionally, the photo must fit the theme of the contest and adhere to any specified size or resolution requirements.

4. How will the winner of the photo contest be selected?

The winner of the photo contest will be selected by a panel of judges based on the following criteria: creativity, technical skill, and how well the photo fits the theme of the contest.

5. What is the prize for the winner of the photo contest?

The prize for the winner of the photo contest may vary depending on the specific contest. It could be cash, photography equipment, or a gift card, among other things. The exact prize will be announced at the start of the contest.