Philosophy homework - need to support predefined future

In summary, determinism is the idea that the future is predetermined, and that we can't really predict it. There is debate over whether or not determinism is a sound argument, but it does seem to work to define future events.
JPC
hey

To a lot of us it sounds evident that the future is predefined, that we know the future will only be one way, even through we cannot really predict how it would be (infinitely long equations, ect, an infinity of variables).

Ok, its logic , but i need to find clear arguments to support that idea

i was thinking of :

- example : we can predict with enough precision what will happen in a chemical reaction, and there's chemical reactions in our brains too (and other reactions) , and since we obey to the laws of physics and chemistry, our thoughts are predefined : we may think we are acting on our own , and that we did not do what fate expected us to do, but it was already predefined that we would think that;ect)

Ok that was just an example , how do i make a theory out of this ?

No very complicated philosophy language, ect please, I am in 12th grade in french school , scientific section (yes , in france you have to do philosophy in scientific section)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JPC said:
hey

To a lot of us it sounds evident that the future is predefined, that we know the future will only be one way, even through we cannot really predict how it would be (infinitely long equations, ect, an infinity of variables).

Ok, its logic , but i need to find clear arguments to support that idea

i was thinking of :

- example : we can predict with enough precision what will happen in a chemical reaction, and there's chemical reactions in our brains too (and other reactions) , and since we obey to the laws of physics and chemistry, our thoughts are predefined : we may think we are acting on our own , and that we did not do what fate expected us to do, but it was already predefined that we would think that;ect)

Ok that was just an example , how do i make a theory out of this ?

No very complicated philosophy language, ect please, I am in 12th grade in french school , scientific section (yes , in france you have to do philosophy in scientific section)

Determinism

yes but which arguments can i put ?

Modus Ponens
If P, then Q
P
Therefore, Q

If the argument is modus ponens and its premises are true, then it is sound.
The premises are true.
Therefore, it is a sound argument.

If modus ponens is a sound argument, then it has been tested valid.
If valid, then it works to define future events.
Modus ponens is a sound argument.
Therfore it works to define future events.

That was a multiple modus ponens. I think you can add to this if necessary if it is deemed worthy.

Of course in the areas described best in quantum terms forget about ponens.

Modus ponens works in the everyday world.

never heard of this

it sounds logic, but what's the proof ?

Proof is sometimes a fuzzy thing. What do you mean by "proof?" I can use modus ponens and say:
If I can draw a circle that a match falls within when dropped from certain place 1 inch above the center of the circle, then I have demonstrated that the future is fixed.
I've dropped that match and it always has fallen in the 30 foot diameter circle.
Therefore the future is fixed.

JoeDawg said:
Determinism

One could argue this -- let the following line A->B be some time line of events, with X, Y and Z being specific points in the time line:

A--------------------------------------------------->B
*******X**************Y***********Z*******

If you are at X, then Y is in the future and cannot be predicted. However, for any "Y" it is possible to argue that the events from X to Y are perfectly defined, since they are in the past and actually happened, leading to Y. Therefore once you reach Y, you can argue that events leading up to and causing it are predefined, since they obviously already happened.

Any point on the time line can be viewed as either past or future, depending on which point you pick to observe it from.

One can argue that the time line could be split into infinite futures. The reply to this could be that while this may be true, any future you pick to examine would then be (pre) defined by the time line that leads to it.

Your teacher may or may not buy this.

JoeDawg said:
Determinism

There isn't going to be anyone answer to this.

With regards to philosophy, you'll find all sorts of stuff on determinism, check on wikipedia for instance.
Where you're probably going to come to a road block is with the 'problem of induction'.
And I'm thinking that's the real point of this homework.

Related to Philosophy homework - need to support predefined future

What is philosophy homework?

Philosophy homework refers to assignments or tasks given to students in a philosophy course. These tasks are designed to help students understand and critically analyze philosophical concepts and theories.

What is the purpose of philosophy homework?

The purpose of philosophy homework is to enhance students' critical thinking skills, deepen their understanding of philosophical concepts, and improve their ability to articulate and defend their own views.

How can I support predefined future in my philosophy homework?

To support predefined future in your philosophy homework, you can use evidence and arguments from philosophical texts and theories to support your ideas. Additionally, you can also engage in critical thinking and analysis to explore different perspectives on the topic.

What are some common challenges students face when completing philosophy homework?

Some common challenges students face when completing philosophy homework include understanding complex philosophical concepts, analyzing and critically evaluating arguments, and effectively articulating their own views. Time management and research skills can also be challenging for some students.

How can I improve my performance in philosophy homework?

To improve your performance in philosophy homework, it is important to actively engage with the material, participate in class discussions, and seek clarification from your professor or classmates when needed. Additionally, practicing critical thinking, time management, and research skills can also help improve your performance.