Phasing of spin due to a radiofrequency pulse

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of MRI and the scientific theory behind the precession of spins in an external field. The concept of refocusing pulses is mentioned, and a link to a humorous physics movie is shared.
mkj
hi all,
i am interested in MRI, and i wish to know what is the scientific theory telling us that the spins will precess in phase if they were placed in an external field and exposed to a 90° RF pulse. what i know is that the nuclei will precess at the same angular frequency (or same angular speed) but if they were initially randomly dephased (each spin has an initial angle θ0) then why should be phased after exposed to the RF pulse.

Physics news on Phys.org
naima said:
I found this !

The link is not working.

I liked very much this movie.
Humorous physics movies are rare.

mkj said:
hi all,
i am interested in MRI, and i wish to know what is the scientific theory telling us that the spins will precess in phase if they were placed in an external field and exposed to a 90° RF pulse. what i know is that the nuclei will precess at the same angular frequency (or same angular speed) but if they were initially randomly dephased (each spin has an initial angle θ0) then why should be phased after exposed to the RF pulse.

I assume you are talking about a refocusing pulse. There should be plenty of material available online (try "NMR" and "refocusing" as search terms), you could e..g try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_echo

Related to Phasing of spin due to a radiofrequency pulse

1. What is phasing of spin due to a radiofrequency pulse?

Phasing of spin refers to the alignment of the nuclear spins of atoms in a sample. A radiofrequency pulse is used to manipulate the spin states of these atoms, causing them to align in a certain way.

2. How does a radiofrequency pulse cause phasing of spin?

When a radiofrequency pulse is applied to a sample, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the spin states of the atoms. This interaction causes the spins to align in a specific way, resulting in phasing of spin.

3. What is the purpose of phasing of spin in scientific research?

Phasing of spin is used in a variety of scientific research fields, such as nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). It allows scientists to study the physical and chemical properties of materials and biological samples by analyzing the behavior of the nuclear spins.

4. What factors can affect the phasing of spin in a sample?

The strength and duration of the radiofrequency pulse, the magnetic properties of the sample, and any external magnetic fields can all affect the phasing of spin in a sample. Additionally, the temperature and chemical environment of the sample can also play a role.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges to phasing of spin in scientific research?

While phasing of spin is a powerful tool in scientific research, it does have some limitations and challenges. These include the need for specialized equipment and expertise, sensitivity to external factors, and the potential for signal loss or distortion. Additionally, different samples may require different approaches for achieving phasing of spin, further adding to the complexity of the technique.