Phase of current and voltage in LCR network

In summary, the conversation discusses the sketching of the phase of the total current relative to the voltage in a network consisting of an inductor, capacitor, and resistor connected in parallel. The impedance of the network is expressed as a+ib, and the phase can be calculated using tan^{-1}\left({\frac{b}{a}}\right). The current's phase angle will be the negative of the impedance's angle, and the sign of the phase angle can determine whether the current lags or leads the voltage. The sketch should plot θ(f).
Froskoy

Homework Statement

A network consists of an inductor, capacitor and resistor are connected in parallel and an alternating sinusoidal voltage is placed across the network. Sketch the phase of the total current relative to the voltage as a function of the angular frequency.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got an expression for the impedance of the network in the form [itex]a+ib[/itex]. This is equal to [itex]\frac{V}{I}[/itex]. So is the phase equal to [itex]tan^{-1}\left({\frac{b}{a}}\right)[/itex] - or do you have to do something more? Is there a better way to calculate the phase using exponentials?

To sketch it, I don't understand how you determine if the voltage lags behind the current or the current lags behind the voltage? Once you've determined the phase, [itex]\theta[/itex], do you just sketch the sin wave for the voltage and then sketch a sin wave for the current that lags an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] behind the voltage, or is there more to it? How do you determine that the current is indeed a sin shape and not some other shape?

With very many thanks,

Froskoy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Froskoy said:

Homework Statement

A network consists of an inductor, capacitor and resistor are connected in parallel and an alternating sinusoidal voltage is placed across the network. Sketch the phase of the total current relative to the voltage as a function of the angular frequency.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got an expression for the impedance of the network in the form [itex]a+ib[/itex]. This is equal to [itex]\frac{V}{I}[/itex]. So is the phase equal to [itex]tan^{-1}\left({\frac{b}{a}}\right)[/itex] - or do you have to do something more? Is there a better way to calculate the phase using exponentials?
No, the complex number approach is about as simple as it gets.

Note that, as you say, Z = V/I, so that I = V/Z. If the voltage source is taken as the phase reference and if angle(Z) is the angle of the impedance, then the current will have a phase angle that is -angle(Z).
To sketch it, I don't understand how you determine if the voltage lags behind the current or the current lags behind the voltage? Once you've determined the phase, [itex]\theta[/itex], do you just sketch the sin wave for the voltage and then sketch a sin wave for the current that lags an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] behind the voltage, or is there more to it? How do you determine that the current is indeed a sin shape and not some other shape?

With very many thanks,

Froskoy.
So many questions :smile:
Whether or not the current lags or leads the voltage will depend upon the relative sizes of the reactances of the inductor and capacitor. But not to worry; the sign of the phase angle that you calculate tells you whether the current leads or lags.

For the sketch, it looks like they want you to plot θ(f).

Thank you so much! It's all really clear now!

Related to Phase of current and voltage in LCR network

What is a LCR network?

A LCR network is a circuit that contains an inductor (L), a capacitor (C), and a resistor (R). These components are connected in a series or parallel arrangement, and their combination creates a resonant circuit that exhibits unique behavior in response to current and voltage signals.

What is the phase of current and voltage in a LCR network?

The phase of current and voltage in a LCR network refers to the relative timing between the two signals. In a series LCR circuit, the current and voltage are in phase with each other, meaning they reach their maximum and minimum values at the same time. In a parallel LCR circuit, the current and voltage are out of phase, meaning they reach their maximum and minimum values at different times.

How does the phase of current and voltage affect the behavior of a LCR network?

The phase of current and voltage is a crucial factor in determining the behavior of a LCR network. In a series circuit, the inductor and capacitor work together to create a high impedance at the resonant frequency, allowing for efficient energy transfer. In a parallel circuit, the inductor and capacitor cancel each other's effects, resulting in a low impedance at the resonant frequency.

Can the phase of current and voltage be changed in a LCR network?

Yes, the phase of current and voltage can be changed in a LCR network by altering the values of the components or by changing the frequency of the signal. For example, in a parallel circuit, the phase can be shifted from inductive to capacitive by increasing the frequency. Similarly, in a series circuit, the phase can be shifted from capacitive to inductive by changing the values of the components.

What applications rely on the phase of current and voltage in a LCR network?

The phase of current and voltage in a LCR network is important in many practical applications. In AC power systems, the phase of current and voltage must be carefully controlled to ensure efficient energy transfer. In electronic filters, the phase characteristics of a LCR network are used to selectively pass or block certain frequencies. Additionally, the phase of current and voltage is crucial in audio equipment, where it affects the sound quality and performance of speakers and microphones.