Phase of |0> when it appears in a product

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a beam splitter with one vacuum input, which results in an output state of ##\frac{1}{\sqrt 2}(|1_A\rangle +i|0_B \rangle)\frac{1}{\sqrt 2}(-i|1_A\rangle +|0_B \rangle)##. If there is further processing, the vacuum term ##i|0_B\rangle## may be multiplied with a non-vacuum term. This "i" originates from the vacuum term and is accounted for in the notation. Reference is made to equation 7 of a source discussing the use of beam splitters.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
In a beam splitter with one vacuum input, the output looks like ##\frac{1}{\sqrt 2}(|1_A\rangle +i|0_B \rangle)\frac{1}{\sqrt 2}(-i|1_A\rangle +|0_B \rangle)##.
If there is some further processing, the vacuum ##i|0_B\rangle##, along with the i , could end up multiplied with some non-vacuum term.

Do we need to keep track of that "i" that originates from such a vacuum term? If so, what is the physical interpretation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please make it a habit to cite your sources and explain your notation.

The state you have given doesn't make sense to me. Are you really familiar with what a products of ket vectors signifies?

Actually, they do keep track of the vac term in that reference so I guess that answers my question.

Related to Phase of |0> when it appears in a product

What is the meaning of "Phase of |0> when it appears in a product"?

The "Phase of |0> when it appears in a product" refers to the phase or angle associated with the quantum state |0> when it is included in a mathematical product with other quantum states.

Why is the phase of |0> important in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the phase of a quantum state is important because it affects the interference patterns and probability amplitudes of the state. It also plays a crucial role in the measurement and manipulation of quantum systems.

How is the phase of |0> measured or determined?

The phase of |0> can be measured or determined through various experimental techniques such as interferometry, quantum state tomography, and quantum state tomography. These techniques involve manipulating the state and observing the resulting interference patterns or probability distributions.

Can the phase of |0> be changed?

Yes, the phase of |0> can be changed through various methods such as applying a phase shift operation or using quantum gates to manipulate the state. This allows for the control and manipulation of quantum systems in applications such as quantum computing and quantum communication.

What are some real-world applications of understanding the phase of |0>?

The understanding and control of the phase of |0> have various applications in quantum technologies, including quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum sensing. It also plays a crucial role in fundamental research in quantum mechanics and quantum information theory.