Phase, Geodesics, and Space-Time Curvature

In summary: A geodesic is a two dimensional path that a matter wave can traverse. This path corresponds to a particular curvature in space-time. So, when a wave travels along a geodesic, its phase is conserved. However, as the wave travels along the geodesic, its phase will evolve to different values depending on the geodesic it is traveling on. This evolution is due to the varying metric signatures and space-time lengths along different geodesics. So, by summing over all the phases, you can obtain a prominent phase which can be matched with a corresponding geodesic. This geodesic can then be used to find the curvature of space-time.
jfy4
Please read and critique this argument for me please, any help is appreciated.

Imagine a geodesic, and a matter wave that traverses this geodesic. The action of this matter wave determines the motion of the matter wave along this geodesic over a given space-time interval, and is specified by a metric and infinitesimal space-time lengths. The phase of the matter wave evolves along this geodesic, space-time interval.

Over a given space-time interval, there exist multiple geodesics along which a matter wave can traverse. This is done by holding the end-points of the space-time interval fixed, while varying the metric signature and space-time lengths. For each one of these geodesics, the matter wave's phase has the same initial value, but over the different geodesics evolves to different values with respect to each geodesic.

Therefore, a relationship between the phase of a matter wave, and its evolution along a geodesic should be derivable. A sum over all the phases (and hence the geodesics) would leave one with a prominent phase (or phase distribution) which could in turn be matched with a corresponding geodesic (over a fixed and given space-time interval, of which there should be a one-to-one correspondence between the phase and geodesic path). This geodesic can then be used to find the curvature of space-time (because of its intrinsic connection to curvature through the metric signature).

Physics news on Phys.org
jfy4 said:
Please read and critique this argument for me please, any help is appreciated.
It is a very complicated argument.

jfy4 said:
Imagine a geodesic, and a matter wave that traverses this geodesic.
Here is the first complication. A wave is by definition non-local and is a four dimensional object (in spacetime). A geodesic however is a two dimensional object.

jfy4 said:
The phase of the matter wave evolves along this geodesic, space-time interval.
So, strictly speaking, this is not correct, since the phase evolves along a region (a group of geodesics) in spacetime. And if this spacetime is curved and non static you can readily see the enormous complications this will give to the phase of a wave. Wheeler, a long time ago, wrote some interesting stuff about that, but it never became mainstream science.

jfy4 said:
Over a given space-time interval, there exist multiple geodesics along which a matter wave can traverse.
Yes that is true, and phase coherence becomes even more problematic in such scenarios.

jfy4 said:
A sum over all the phases (and hence the geodesics) would leave one with a prominent phase (or phase distribution) which could in turn be matched with a corresponding geodesic (over a fixed and given space-time interval, of which there should be a one-to-one correspondence between the phase and geodesic path). This geodesic can then be used to find the curvature of space-time (because of its intrinsic connection to curvature through the metric signature).
I think I understand what you are getting at.

Let me rephrase it to see if I understand you:

You like to correlate the evolution of the phase of a matter wave with the vorticity, shear and expansion of a group of geodesics in order to determine curvature of spacetime?

Thank you for responding!

I tried looking up vorticity but I could not find out what it means...

But I think you are interpreting my argument correctly. I imagine that a matter wave can evolve along many different geodesics which correspond to different curvatures and that the phase decoherence between these geodesics, like a slit experiment, would produce a prominent geodesic/phase which could be used to find curvature.

However, I did not know geodesics were 2d I thought they were path lengths. Could you explain this more to me?

Related to Phase, Geodesics, and Space-Time Curvature

1. What is a phase in physics?

In physics, a phase refers to the state of a physical system at a given time, including the positions and velocities of all particles in the system. It can also refer to the different states of matter, such as solid, liquid, or gas.

2. What are geodesics in space-time?

Geodesics in space-time are the shortest paths between two points in curved space-time. They are often described as the "straightest" paths in curved space-time, as they follow the natural curvature of the space-time fabric.

3. How is space-time curvature measured?

Space-time curvature is measured using the concept of the Riemann curvature tensor, which describes the curvature of space-time at every point. It is calculated by measuring the change in direction of geodesics in different directions at a given point in space-time.

4. What is the connection between gravity and space-time curvature?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a curvature of space-time caused by the presence of massive objects. The more massive an object is, the more it curves the space-time fabric around it, resulting in the effect we perceive as gravity.

5. Can space-time curvature be observed?

Yes, space-time curvature can be observed through various phenomena, such as the bending of light around massive objects, the redshift of light from distant galaxies, and the gravitational time dilation observed in space. These observations provide evidence for the existence of space-time curvature and support Einstein's theory of general relativity.