Phase Difference: Q&A | Find the Angle between V & I

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the phase difference between two trigonometric functions, cos(x+90) and cos(x-30). The initial method suggests a difference of 120 degrees, but upon further clarification, it is determined that the phase difference is ambiguous and depends on the conventions used. The conversation ends with a friendly exchange of appreciation.
FrogPad
I can't believe I'm asking this, but for some reason I cannot remember this.

Here is the basic question from my power class.

Q: What is the phase difference between:
[tex] v=V_{max}\sin \omega t [/tex]
[tex] i = I_{max} \cos( \omega t - 30) [/tex]

So we simply rewrite [itex] v [/itex] as: [itex] v = V_{max} \cos ( \omega t + 90 ) [/itex]

Now my first thought to find the phase difference is the following. The voltage is shifted left by 90 degrees, and the current is shifted right by 30 degrees. Thus the difference is simply, 90 + |-30| = 120.

Then I thought for a second, well if we draw the unit circle, the voltage would be rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise, and the current would be rotated clockwise 30 degrees. So the angle between them would be 240 degrees.

Would someone please tell me what I'm missing here. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
cos(x+90) is the negative of sin(x). I think you want cos(x+270).

Dick said:
cos(x+90) is the negative of sin(x). I think you want cos(x+270).

Woops. Yeah. My bad there.

Well for the sake of argument, say I need to find the phase difference between cos(x + 90) and cos(x - 30). Would it be 120 degrees as outlined in the method I discussed above, or 240?

You could say the voltage is leading the current by 120. Since cos(x-30)=cos(x+330), you could also say the current is leading the voltage by 240. 120+240=360. Phase difference is ambiguous unless you specify which is ahead or behind which. Depends on your conventions.

Dick said:
You could say the voltage is leading the current by 120. Since cos(x-30)=cos(x+330), you could also say the current is leading the voltage by 240. 120+240=360. Phase difference is ambiguous unless you specify which is ahead or behind which. Depends on your conventions.

"Phase difference is ambiguous"

Good stuff. That makes sense.

I appreciate it. Have a good one! ;)

Related to Phase Difference: Q&A | Find the Angle between V & I

1. What is phase difference?

Phase difference is the measure of how much two waves are out of sync with each other. In the context of electricity and magnetism, it refers to the difference in phase between voltage and current in an AC circuit.

2. How is phase difference measured?

Phase difference is typically measured in degrees or radians. It can be calculated by finding the time difference between the peaks of the two waves or by measuring the difference in their frequencies.

3. What causes phase difference between voltage and current?

In an AC circuit, the voltage and current are out of phase because of the presence of inductors and capacitors. These components cause the voltage and current to oscillate at different rates, resulting in a phase difference.

4. Why is phase difference important?

Phase difference is important because it affects the behavior and efficiency of AC circuits. If the phase difference is not accounted for, it can lead to power loss, heat generation, and other undesirable effects.

5. How do you find the angle between voltage and current?

The angle between voltage and current, also known as the phase angle, can be calculated using trigonometric functions such as cosine or tangent. It can also be determined by using specialized instruments such as an oscilloscope or a power analyzer.