Phase Difference for Interference of Traveling Waves on a Stretched String

In summary, the phase difference between two identical traveling waves that results in a combined wave with an amplitude of 1.3 times the common amplitude is 1.7 radians. This can also be expressed as a fraction of the wavelength, which is 1.7/2π.
crazy_craig

Homework Statement

What phase difference between two otherwise identical traveling waves, moving in the same direction along a stretched string, will result in the combined wave having an amplitude 1.3 times that of the common amplitude of the two combining waves? Express your answer in (a) degrees, (b) radians, and (c) as a fraction of the wavelength.

Homework Equations

Same frequency and amplitudes results in:

y(x,t)=2ymcos(1/2Φ)sin(kx +/- wt +.5Φ)

The Attempt at a Solution

Amplitude of resultant wave = 2ymcos(1/2Φ)

2ymcos(1/2Φ)=2.3ym

solving for Φ :

2arccos(1.3/2)=Φ which is 1.7rad

However, I'm not sure how to express this in terms of the wavelength.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just looking for fraction of the wavelength. A whole wavelength would be 2*pi rad worth of phase, yes?

That's what I had thought. Actually, I had done: 1.7/2pi, but I didn't put parenthesis around 2pi on my calculator. Jeez. Well, I guess the semester just started. Thank you lewando!

Related to Phase Difference for Interference of Traveling Waves on a Stretched String

1. What is transverse wave interference?

Transverse wave interference is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more transverse waves intersect with each other. This results in the waves combining and either reinforcing each other (constructive interference) or canceling each other out (destructive interference).

2. How does transverse wave interference differ from longitudinal wave interference?

Transverse wave interference occurs when the waves are moving perpendicular to each other, while longitudinal wave interference occurs when the waves are moving parallel to each other. Additionally, transverse wave interference results in a change in the amplitude of the waves, while longitudinal wave interference results in a change in the density of the medium.

3. What factors affect the amount of interference in transverse waves?

The amount of interference in transverse waves is affected by the amplitudes, frequencies, and phases of the intersecting waves. The relative positions of the waves and the medium through which they are traveling also play a role in the amount of interference.

4. Can transverse wave interference be observed in everyday life?

Yes, transverse wave interference can be observed in many everyday situations. For example, the interference of light waves can create the colorful patterns seen in soap bubbles or on the surface of oil spills. The interference of sound waves can be heard in music and speech.

5. How is transverse wave interference used in technology?

Transverse wave interference is used in many technological applications, such as in radio and television broadcasting, fiber optics, and medical imaging. By controlling the interference of waves, we can transmit and receive information, create high-resolution images, and improve signal quality.