Phase Angle guidance between the current and supply voltage

In summary, the formula to use for the phase angle between current and voltage in a RLC parallel circuit is tan-1 (XL-XC/R).
ckeller

Homework Statement

Hi,
I am slightly confused by which variation of phase angle formula to use relating between the current and voltage. Would this still be (tan-1 XL-XC/R) for a RLC parallel circuit?

Voltage = 90V ac
Xc/Z1 = (9 - j4)
XL/Z2 = (12 + j15)
Current = 11.27 Amps
Total Impedance = 7.98

Homework Equations

tan-1 (XL-XC/R)?
tan-1 (VL-VC/VR)?

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to get a phase angle of 0.27 degrees, but this doesn't seem right to me.
Which formula do I use because I used the impedance phase formula to get this angle, but is this right in terms of between voltage and current??

Physics news on Phys.org
In this case you should use the tan-1(XL-XC/R) formula. You can calculate the phase angle between current and voltage using the formula tan-1 (VL-VC/VR).

Related to Phase Angle guidance between the current and supply voltage

What is phase angle guidance between the current and supply voltage?

Phase angle guidance is a method used to control the flow of electricity between the current and supply voltage. It adjusts the phase angle between the two to optimize the efficiency of the electrical system.

How does phase angle guidance work?

Phase angle guidance works by adjusting the phase angle between the current and supply voltage. This is done by using devices such as phase angle controllers or phase shifting transformers, which can change the timing of the current and voltage waveforms to achieve the desired phase angle.

Why is phase angle guidance important?

Phase angle guidance is important because it helps to maintain a stable and efficient electrical system. By adjusting the phase angle between the current and supply voltage, it can reduce power losses and improve the overall efficiency of the system.

What are the benefits of using phase angle guidance?

There are several benefits to using phase angle guidance, including improved efficiency, reduced power losses, and increased stability of the electrical system. It can also help to reduce the need for additional equipment, such as capacitors, to control voltage levels.

Are there any drawbacks to using phase angle guidance?

While phase angle guidance can provide many benefits, it also has some limitations. It may not be suitable for all types of electrical systems and can be more complex and expensive to implement compared to other methods of voltage control. It also requires regular maintenance and monitoring to ensure proper functioning.