Phase angle between I and V > 90?

In summary: I understand now that reactive power is not dissipated but rather stored and then returned to the source in a cyclical manner. In summary, the phase angle between current and voltage determines the power factor and the fraction of power supplied that can do real work. A phase angle of 90 degrees means that none of the delivered power can do real work, while a phase angle greater than 90 degrees leading or less than 90 degrees lagging results in power being delivered instead of absorbed. This can occur in circuits with active components and can cause instability if not addressed. Reactive power is not dissipated, but rather stored and returned to the source, resulting in a higher current and IR losses for the source. Adding capacitors or inductors can
DeG
I know that the phase angle between I and V determines the power factor (cos(angle)) and thus the fraction of power supplied that can do real work. Also that a phase angle of 90 degrees means that none of the delivered power can do real work in the system. What happens when the phase angle goes over 90 degrees though? Will this again give real power to the system?

Engineering news on Phys.org
When the phase angle goes over 90 degrees leading, then it is less than 90 degrees lagging in the previous cycle.

So, the circuit is (or behaves like) an inductor instead of a capacitor combined with some resistance.

If the angle is anything except 90 degrees, then there is some resistive component and power will be dissipated in this resistance if there is a current flowing.

vk6kro said:
When the phase angle goes over 90 degrees leading, then it is less than 90 degrees lagging in the previous cycle.

So, the circuit is (or behaves like) an inductor instead of a capacitor combined with some resistance.

If the angle is anything except 90 degrees, then there is some resistive component and power will be dissipated in this resistance if there is a current flowing.

Not correct. If I leads V by 100 degrees, it is not lagging V by 260 degrees. I leading V by more than +90 or less than -90 means that power is being delivered instead of absorbed.

This scenario occurs in emitter follower amp stages with capacitive loading. The capacitive load in the emitter is reflected to the base side as a negative resistance plus a reactance. Instability can result from this. The remedy often employed is the addition of a resistor in series with the base lead. The positive resistance of the resistor cancels the negative resistance reflected from the emitter.

Claude

DeG,

I know that the phase angle between I and V determines the power factor (cos(angle)) and thus the fraction of power supplied that can do real work. Also that a phase angle of 90 degrees means that none of the delivered power can do real work in the system. What happens when the phase angle goes over 90 degrees though? Will this again give real power to the system?

If the AC voltage and current are ±90° out of phase, the source provides energy for part of the cycle, and receives the same amount of energy back during the remainder of the cycle, for a net energy transfer of zero. The net energy supplied will be greater than zero when resistance is present. What is "real work"? What other kind of work is there? A passive network can never exceed ±90° between voltage and current. In a circuit with active components, if the phase is greater than ±90°, the signal source will be receiving energy back from the active component energy supply for part of the cycle.

Ratch

if you have a two-terminal device, and let's say it's linear (like resistors, capacitors, inductors), and you experimentally derive volt-amp characteristics and if this device looks like a resistive and reactive element with a phase angle between 180° and 90° or between -180° and -90°, that means that there is negative resistance in this device. all by itself, a negative-resistance resistor does not exist because it actually generates energy (out of nothing) and delivers it to the outside. but you can build a circuit with parts including transistors or op-amps that has, over a limited voltage range, behavior like a negative resistor between a pair of nodes and it doesn't violate energy conservation because you are supplying power to the circuit.

This all makes sense. Thanks a lot everybody.

@Ratch - I am specifically referring to power distribution systems and how the utility company has to deliver X amount of power to a customer, but if the customer has an inductive load then the customer only uses X*cos(phase angle) of power (i.e. real work) and the rest is somehow dissipated.

It makes sense that if you add capacitors to the customer side to reduce the phase shift and over-corrected, the capacitors could push power back into the transformer.

Deg,

@Ratch - I am specifically referring to power distribution systems and how the utility company has to deliver X amount of power to a customer, but if the customer has an inductive load then the customer only uses X*cos(phase angle) of power (i.e. real work) and the rest is somehow dissipated.

No, the reactive power is not dissipated. It is stored in the inductors as a magnetic field for part a cycle, and then given back to the utility during the remainder of the cycle. What the utililities don't like is the higher current they have to supply to make up for the diverted energy. The higher current results in higher IR losses which is truly dissipated as heat.

It makes sense that if you add capacitors to the customer side to reduce the phase shift and over-corrected, the capacitors could push power back into the transformer.

The same thing happens if there is too much inductance. If there is too much capacitance, some of the power is stored in the capacitors as a electrostatic field for part a cycle, and then given back to the utility during the remainder of the cycle.

So reactance power is not dissipated as heat or any other way. It is stored in the circuit and given back to the source in a cyclical manner. This reactive power is supplied by the source, but is not applied to the load. It is not lost energy, but the source has to increase the current to make up for the diverted power.

Ratch

Awesome, thanks for the clarification

Related to Phase angle between I and V > 90?

1. What is the significance of the phase angle between current and voltage being greater than 90 degrees?

The phase angle between current and voltage being greater than 90 degrees indicates that the current and voltage are not in phase with each other. This means that the current and voltage are out of sync, and the current is leading or lagging behind the voltage by a certain amount of time.

2. How is the phase angle between current and voltage measured?

The phase angle between current and voltage is measured by using a tool called an oscilloscope. This device displays the waveform of the current and voltage and allows for the measurement of the time difference between them.

3. What causes the phase angle between current and voltage to be greater than 90 degrees?

The phase angle between current and voltage can be greater than 90 degrees due to the presence of inductive or capacitive elements in the circuit. These elements can cause the current and voltage to be out of phase with each other.

4. How does the phase angle between current and voltage affect power in a circuit?

The phase angle between current and voltage can affect the power in a circuit by reducing the amount of power that can be transferred. When the current and voltage are not in phase with each other, some of the power is used to overcome the effects of inductive or capacitive elements instead of being transferred to the load.

5. Can the phase angle between current and voltage be negative?

No, the phase angle between current and voltage cannot be negative. It is always expressed as a positive value between 0 and 180 degrees. A negative phase angle would indicate a reversal of the current and voltage waveforms, which is not possible in an electrical circuit.