Ph.D in astrophysics having research experiences in nanoelectronics

In summary, the individual is from India with a background in electronics, including a B.Sc, M.Sc, and M.Tech. They have four years of research experience in nanoelectronics but are now interested in pursuing a Ph.D in astrophysics from universities in the USA. They do not have a prior degree in physics but have a strong passion for astrophysics and are willing to take the GRE and dedicate themselves to research in the field. Their concern is whether universities will allow them to pursue this path without a degree in physics. They are seeking advice and further information on the matter.
pratim roy
I am from India. I have done B.Sc in electronics, M.Sc in electronics, M.Tech in nanoelectronics and currently have four years of research experiences in nanoelectronics. But now I want to shift from this career and get a Ph.D in astrophysics from the universities in USA. Can anyone tell me is this allowed? I have no prior degree in physics but have grown a deep love for astrophysics over the past few years and now am ready to take up GRE and spend the rest of my life doing researches in astrophysics.But my only concern is whether I would be allowed by the universities to do so since I had done my graduation in electronics and not in physics. Please suggest me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Related to Ph.D in astrophysics having research experiences in nanoelectronics

1. What is a Ph.D in astrophysics?

A Ph.D in astrophysics is a doctoral degree in the field of astronomy and astrophysics. It involves advanced study and research in topics such as cosmology, planetary science, and astrophysical theories.

2. What are the requirements for a Ph.D in astrophysics?

The specific requirements for a Ph.D in astrophysics vary depending on the university or program, but generally include completing coursework, passing exams, and conducting original research in the field. Most programs also require students to defend a dissertation based on their research.

3. What is the role of research experiences in nanoelectronics in a Ph.D in astrophysics?

Research experiences in nanoelectronics can be beneficial for a student pursuing a Ph.D in astrophysics as it allows them to gain skills in a related field and potentially apply those skills to their research in astrophysics. Nanoelectronics is also increasingly important in cutting-edge astrophysics research, such as developing new instrumentation for telescopes.

4. What career options are available with a Ph.D in astrophysics having research experiences in nanoelectronics?

A Ph.D in astrophysics can lead to a variety of career options, including research positions in academia, government agencies, and private companies. With additional research experiences in nanoelectronics, a Ph.D in astrophysics may also open up opportunities in the tech industry, such as developing sensors or instruments for space exploration.

5. How long does it take to complete a Ph.D in astrophysics?

The length of time to complete a Ph.D in astrophysics can vary, but on average it takes 4-6 years. This includes completing coursework, conducting research, and writing and defending a dissertation. The addition of research experiences in nanoelectronics may add some time to the overall duration of the degree program.