Perturbed Ground State Wavefunction with Parity

Any thoughts on this? The basic question here is:How does parity create selection rules?Parity creates selection rules by limiting the possible values of the coefficients C_{nlm} in the perturbed ground state wavefunction. This is because the presence of symmetry under parity means that the perturbation V cannot change the parity of the state, thus only allowing for states with the same parity to be connected by V. This places constraints on the possible values of the coefficients C_{nlm}, as they must correspond to states with the same parity.
logic smogic
[SOLVED] Perturbed Ground State Wavefunction with Parity

Homework Statement

A particle is in a Coulomb potential

[tex]H_{0}=\frac{|p|^{2}}{2m} - \frac{e^{2}}{|r|}[/tex]

When a perturbation V (which does not involve spin) is added, the ground state of [itex]H_{0} + V[/itex] may be written

[tex]|\Psi_{0}\rangle = |n=0,l=0,m=0\rangle + \sum C_{nlm}|n,l,m \rangle[/tex]

where [itex]|n,l,m\rangle[/itex] is a Hyrdogenic wavefunction with radial quantum number n and angular momentum quantum numbers l, m.

Consider the following possible symmetries of the perturbation V. What constraints, if any, would the presence of such a symmetry place on the possible values of the coefficients [itex]C_{nlm}[/itex]?

(i) Symmetry under Parity.
(ii) Rotational symmetry about the z axis.
(iii) Full rotational symmetry.
(iv) Time reversal symmetry.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let's stick to just part (i) for now.

Initially, I want to understand what the question is asking, and what that formula for the ground state ket means. Here's what went through my head:

1. Time-Independent perturbation theory tells us that the eigenkets can be written:

[tex]|n \rangle = |n_{0} \rangle + \sum |m_{0} \rangle \langle m_{0} | n \rangle[/tex]

where,

[tex]\langle m_{0} | n \rangle = \lambda \frac{\langle m_{0} | V | n \rangle}{E_{n} - E_{m,0}}[/tex]

2. Comparing this to the equation of the perturbed ground state (in the statement of the problem), it looks like,

[tex]|n=0,l=0,m=0\rangle \rightarrow |n_{0} \rangle[/tex]

and,

[tex]|n,l,m \rangle \rightarrow |m_{0} \rangle[/tex]

which leaves the "coefficients" as,

[tex]C_{nlm} \rightarrow \langle m_{0} | n \rangle[/tex]

3. As for parity, I know that if [itex]\pi[/itex] is the parity operator, then for an operator A,

[tex]\pi^{\dagger} A \pi = \pm A[/tex]

Presumably, I should apply this to V, and learn something about the possible values of the coefficients.

This is where I'm stuck. I've no idea how this is supposed to restrict the values that [itex]C_{nlm}[/itex] can take. Any suggestions or hints in the right direction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any thoughts on this? The basic question here is:

How does parity create selection rules?

Perhaps someone could just lay out it for me, or point me to a nice tutorial. My book doesn't provide an example or anything of that sort, and I have an exam today! Thanks much.

Something's not kosher here...

So the strangest thing just happened. I just had a Quantum Mechanics exam today. I came home and decided to research a couple of the problems on the exam, and sure enough, on your thread are posted 2 of the EXACT questions that were on my exam. But even stranger than this, is the fact that these posts were made 2 days before my test...I wonder how that happened?? Any suggestions anyone?

-What school did you say that you attended by the way?

logic smogic said:

Homework Statement

A particle is in a Coulomb potential

[tex]H_{0}=\frac{|p|^{2}}{2m} - \frac{e^{2}}{|r|}[/tex]

When a perturbation V (which does not involve spin) is added, the ground state of [itex]H_{0} + V[/itex] may be written

[tex]|\Psi_{0}\rangle = |n=0,l=0,m=0\rangle + \sum C_{nlm}|n,l,m \rangle[/tex]

where [itex]|n,l,m\rangle[/itex] is a Hyrdogenic wavefunction with radial quantum number n and angular momentum quantum numbers l, m.

Consider the following possible symmetries of the perturbation V. What constraints, if any, would the presence of such a symmetry place on the possible values of the coefficients [itex]C_{nlm}[/itex]?

(i) Symmetry under Parity.
(ii) Rotational symmetry about the z axis.
(iii) Full rotational symmetry.
(iv) Time reversal symmetry.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let's stick to just part (i) for now.

Initially, I want to understand what the question is asking, and what that formula for the ground state ket means. Here's what went through my head:

1. Time-Independent perturbation theory tells us that the eigenkets can be written:

[tex]|n \rangle = |n_{0} \rangle + \sum |m_{0} \rangle \langle m_{0} | n \rangle[/tex]

where,

[tex]\langle m_{0} | n \rangle = \lambda \frac{\langle m_{0} | V | n \rangle}{E_{n} - E_{m,0}}[/tex]
This is a very bad choice of notation because [tex]\langle m_{0} | n \rangle [/tex] has already a clear meaning. Maybe [tex] V_{m_0,n} [/tex] or something similar would be better.
2. Comparing this to the equation of the perturbed ground state (in the statement of the problem), it looks like,

[tex]|n=0,l=0,m=0\rangle \rightarrow |n_{0} \rangle[/tex]

and,

[tex]|n,l,m \rangle \rightarrow |m_{0} \rangle[/tex]

which leaves the "coefficients" as,

[tex]C_{nlm} \rightarrow \langle m_{0} | n \rangle[/tex]

3. As for parity, I know that if [itex]\pi[/itex] is the parity operator, then for an operator A,

[tex]\pi^{\dagger} A \pi = \pm A[/tex]

Presumably, I should apply this to V, and learn something about the possible values of the coefficients.

This is where I'm stuck. I've no idea how this is supposed to restrict the values that [itex]C_{nlm}[/itex] can take. Any suggestions or hints in the right direction?

V cannot change the parity therefore the two states connected by V must have the same parity. What is the parity of a state with quantum numbers l,m ?

Related to Perturbed Ground State Wavefunction with Parity

1. What is a perturbed ground state wavefunction with parity?

A perturbed ground state wavefunction with parity refers to a quantum mechanical wavefunction that describes the lowest energy state of a system that has been subjected to a perturbation, or a disturbance, that does not change the overall parity or symmetry of the system.

2. How is a perturbed ground state wavefunction with parity different from a regular ground state wavefunction?

A regular ground state wavefunction describes the lowest energy state of a system without any external perturbations. In contrast, a perturbed ground state wavefunction with parity describes the lowest energy state of a system that has been subjected to a perturbation while still maintaining the same overall parity or symmetry.

3. What is the significance of studying perturbed ground state wavefunctions with parity?

Studying perturbed ground state wavefunctions with parity can provide important insights into the behavior and properties of quantum mechanical systems. It can also help us understand how different types of perturbations affect the energy and symmetry of a system.

4. How is the parity of a perturbed ground state wavefunction determined?

The parity of a perturbed ground state wavefunction is determined by examining the overall symmetry of the system. If the perturbation does not change the overall symmetry of the system, then the perturbed ground state wavefunction will have the same parity as the regular ground state wavefunction.

5. Can perturbed ground state wavefunctions with parity be observed experimentally?

Yes, perturbed ground state wavefunctions with parity can be observed experimentally through various techniques such as spectroscopy and scattering experiments. These experiments can measure the energy and symmetry of a system, providing evidence for the existence of perturbed ground state wavefunctions with parity.