Perturbation theory and asymptotics

In summary, the conversation is about finding the roots of the transcendental function f(x;a) = x^2 - 3ax - 1 - a + exp(-x/a) = 0, with the difficulty lying in the exponential term. One solution suggested is to approximate the exponential with a Taylor's polynomial, but this may not work as a tends to 0 and the terms are divided by 0. The person is seeking further advice on how to approach the problem.
Juggler123
I need to find the roots of the transcendental function,

f(x;a)=x^2-3ax-1-a+exp(-x/a)=0;

I've done many problems like this before and am fairly sure this is just a regular perturbation problem. The difficulty I'm having is with the exponential term.

Could anyone give me an idea of how to tackle this problem?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Approximate the exponential with a Taylor's polynomial:
[tex]exp(-x/a)= 1- x/a+ \frac{x^2}{2a^2}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ (-1)^n\frac{x^n}{n!a^n}[/tex]

Sorry I didn't make it clear in my first post, I'm finding the roots of the equation as a tends to 0. I thought about the Taylor expansion but then the terms are being divided by 0 (as a tends to zero). Is there anyway around this?

Thanks.

Related to Perturbation theory and asymptotics

1. What is perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory is a mathematical method used to approximate solutions to problems that cannot be solved exactly. It involves breaking down a complex problem into simpler parts and using iterative techniques to find an approximate solution.

2. How is perturbation theory used in science?

Perturbation theory is used in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering, to solve problems that involve small changes or disturbances in a system. It is particularly useful in studying systems that are difficult to solve using traditional analytical methods.

3. What are the limitations of perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory has limitations when applied to highly nonlinear systems or when the perturbation is too large. It also assumes that the perturbation is small compared to the original system, and the results may not be accurate for larger perturbations.

4. What is asymptotic behavior?

Asymptotic behavior refers to the behavior of a function or system as the independent variable approaches a certain value, typically infinity. It is used to describe the long-term or overall behavior of a system and can be studied using asymptotic analysis.

5. How does asymptotic behavior relate to perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory can be used to study the asymptotic behavior of a system by approximating the solution as the perturbation approaches zero. This allows for a better understanding of the behavior of the system in the long term and can provide insights into its stability and convergence properties.