How Do Perturbation Equations Affect FRW Cosmology Metrics?

ergospherical
Homework Statement
##T^{00} = a^{-2} \bar{\rho}(1+\delta)##
##T^{0i} = a^{-2} \bar{\rho}(1+w)v^i##
##T^{ij} = a^{-2} \bar{\rho} [(1+\delta)\delta^{ij} - h^{ij}]##
Relevant Equations
##\nabla_{\mu} T^{\mu \nu} = 0##
The perturbed line element: ##g = a(\tau)^2[-d\tau^2 + (\delta_{ij} + h_{ij})dx^i dx^j]##
Expanding the covariant derivative with ##\nu = 0##, you get a few pieces. Here on keeping only terms linear in the perturbations,

##\partial_{\mu} T^{\mu 0} = a^{-2} \bar{\rho} \left[ \delta' - 2\mathcal{H} (1+\delta) + (1+w) i\mathbf{k} \cdot \mathbf{v} \right]##

here ##\mathcal{H} = a'/a## and ##i \mathbf{k} \cdot \mathbf{v} = \partial_i v^i##. Then

##\Gamma^{\mu}_{\mu \rho} T^{\rho 0} = a^{-2} \bar{\rho} \left[ 4\mathcal{H}(1+\delta) + \frac{1}{2} h' \right]##

##\Gamma^{0}_{\mu \rho} T^{\mu \rho} = a^{-2} \bar{\rho} \left[ \mathcal{H}(1+\delta)(1+3w) + \frac{1}{2} w h' \right]##

Overall,
##0 = a^{-2} \bar{\rho} \left[ \delta' + 3(1+w) \mathcal{H}(1+\delta) + (1+w) i \mathbf{k} \cdot \mathbf{v} + \frac{1}{2}(1+w)h'\right]##

but the term ##3(1+w) \mathcal{H}(1+\delta)## shouldn't be there. I can't see why not? For reference, the connection coefficients

1707826896803.png

Related to How Do Perturbation Equations Affect FRW Cosmology Metrics?

1. How do perturbation equations affect FRW cosmology metrics?

Perturbation equations play a crucial role in understanding the evolution of small-scale inhomogeneities in the universe within the framework of the Friedmann-Robertson-Walker (FRW) cosmology. They provide a way to study the growth of structures such as galaxies, clusters, and superclusters, and how they deviate from the smooth, homogeneous background described by the FRW metric.

2. What is the significance of perturbations in cosmology?

Perturbations in cosmology are essential for explaining the formation of large-scale structures in the universe, such as galaxies and galaxy clusters. They help us understand how tiny fluctuations in the early universe grew over time due to gravity, leading to the rich cosmic web we observe today. Perturbations also provide valuable insights into the nature of dark matter, dark energy, and the overall dynamics of the universe.

3. How do perturbation equations impact the cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation?

Perturbation equations influence the patterns observed in the cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation, which is the afterglow of the Big Bang. By studying the fluctuations in the CMB temperature and polarization, scientists can learn about the initial conditions of the universe, the composition of cosmic components, and the growth of structures. Perturbation equations help connect these observations to theoretical models of the universe's evolution.

4. Can perturbation theory explain the accelerated expansion of the universe?

Perturbation theory alone cannot fully explain the accelerated expansion of the universe, which is attributed to the presence of dark energy. However, perturbation equations are crucial for studying the effects of dark energy on the growth of structures and the overall dynamics of the cosmos. By incorporating dark energy perturbations into the equations, scientists can investigate its impact on cosmic evolution and potentially uncover clues about the nature of dark energy.

5. How do perturbation equations relate to the formation of cosmic large-scale structures?

Perturbation equations provide a framework for understanding how small fluctuations in the early universe evolved into the vast cosmic large-scale structures we observe today. By solving these equations, scientists can simulate the growth of cosmic structures, such as galaxy filaments and voids, and compare them with observational data. This helps refine our understanding of the underlying cosmological model and the processes driving the formation of structures in the universe.