Pertinent question regarding time traveling

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time travel and its potential effects on space and multiple dimensions. The speakers question whether traveling back in time would result in being in a different location due to the Earth's movement and if time itself has multiple dimensions that could impact time travel. They also mention the importance of considering location when designing a time-traveling device.
Calabi_Yau
Suppose I traveled back in time 10 seconds. As the Earth is revolving around the sun at a great speed, I would end up in outer space as the Earth 10 seconds ago hasn't yet reached my actual position.

Or, as time and space are connected, would I still end up where I am sitting now, but 10 seconds in the past, and perhaps on the lap of my past self? And more, if space has many dimensions, is it possible that time also has more than one dimension? Could we somehow be affected by higher time dimensions?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are no universal (time-independent) positions in space, but any time-travelling device would have to take locations into account to be useful.

Related to Pertinent question regarding time traveling

What is time travel and is it possible?

Time travel refers to the concept of moving between different points in time, either forwards or backwards. While it is a popular topic in science fiction, there is currently no scientific evidence that suggests time travel is possible.

Can time travel change the course of history?

This is a highly debated question. Some theories suggest that time travel could create alternate timelines, where changes made in the past would not affect the present. However, the concept of a single, fixed timeline is also a possibility.

What are the potential consequences of time travel?

Time travel could have a range of consequences, depending on the theories and mechanisms involved. Some consequences could include creating paradoxes, altering the course of history, or causing disruptions in the fabric of time and space.

Is there any evidence of time travelers in our current timeline?

There is no concrete evidence of time travelers in our current timeline. However, there are some theories and speculations about potential time travelers who may have left clues or hints throughout history.

What are some proposed methods of time travel?

Some proposed methods of time travel include wormholes, cosmic strings, and the theory of relativity. There is also research being conducted on the concept of closed timelike curves, which could potentially allow for time travel.