Perpendicular lines and the product of their slopes

In summary: Thank you...I stumbled upon that helping a student at another site to find the third vertex of a right triangle, when given two of the vertices in the plane, and the leg lengths. When I realized I had found a nice method to show the product of the slopes of perpendicular lines is -1, I raced here to add it to this topic. :D
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
As students taking pre-calculus, you are probably aware that when two lines are perpendicular, the product of their slopes is -1. Let's see why this is.

Let one line be $\displaystyle y_1=m_1x+b_1$ and the other line be $\displaystyle y_2=m_2x+b_2$.

Now,we know the angle of inclination of a line is found from:

$\displaystyle m=tan(\theta)\,\therefore\,\theta=\tan^{-1}(m)$

Let $\displaystyle \theta_1$ be the angle of inclination of $\displaystyle y_1$ and $\displaystyle \theta_2$ be the angle of inclination of $\displaystyle y_2$.

Now, suppose $\displaystyle 0\le\theta_2\le\frac{\pi}{2}$ and $\displaystyle -\frac{\pi}{2}\le\theta_1\le0$.

If the two lines are perpendicular, then we must have:

$\displaystyle \theta_2=\theta_1+\frac{\pi}{2}$

Now, taking the tangent of both sides, we find:

$\displaystyle \tan\left(\theta_2 \right)=\tan\left(\theta_1+\frac{\pi}{2} \right)$

Using the identity $\displaystyle \tan\left(x+\frac{\pi}{2} \right)=-\cot(x)$ we have:

$\displaystyle \tan\left(\theta_2 \right)=-\cot\left(\theta_1 \right)$

$\displaystyle \tan\left(\theta_2 \right)=-\frac{1}{\tan\left(\theta_1 \right)}$

And so, we must then have:

$\displaystyle m_2=-\frac{1}{m_1}$

$\displaystyle m_1m_2=-1$

Comments and questions should be posted here:

http://mathhelpboards.com/commentary-threads-53/commentary-perpendicular-lines-product-their-slopes-4218.html

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This topic is for commentary pertaining to the tutorial:

http://mathhelpboards.com/math-notes-49/perpendicular-lines-product-their-slopes-2953.html

Here's another method using similarity. Consider the following diagram:

View attachment 8299

We can see that the slope of line $y_1$ is \(\displaystyle m_1=-\frac{\Delta y_1}{\Delta x_1}\) and the slope of line $y_2$ is \(\displaystyle m_2=\frac{\Delta y_2}{\Delta x_2}\)

By similarity, we have:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\Delta y_1}{\Delta x_1}=\frac{\Delta x_2}{\Delta y_2}\implies \frac{\Delta y_1}{\Delta x_1}\cdot\frac{\Delta y_2}{\Delta x_2}=1\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle m_1m_2=-\frac{\Delta y_1}{\Delta x_1}\cdot\frac{\Delta y_2}{\Delta x_2}=-1\)

Attachments

• tml_perplines.png
    tml_perplines.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 63
Your second method is very fast! I remember coming up with my own proof using vectors and dot products, but it took a whole page. Your second method, it seems to me, has a good deal of pedagogical value.

Ackbach said:
Your second method is very fast! I remember coming up with my own proof using vectors and dot products, but it took a whole page. Your second method, it seems to me, has a good deal of pedagogical value.

Thank you...I stumbled upon that helping a student at another site to find the third vertex of a right triangle, when given two of the vertices in the plane, and the leg lengths. When I realized I had found a nice method to show the product of the slopes of perpendicular lines is -1, I raced here to add it to this topic. :D

Related to Perpendicular lines and the product of their slopes

1. What is the product of the slopes of two perpendicular lines?

The product of the slopes of two perpendicular lines is always equal to -1. This means that if the slope of one line is m, then the slope of the perpendicular line is -1/m.

2. How can I determine if two lines are perpendicular?

Two lines are perpendicular if their slopes are negative reciprocals of each other. This means that if the slope of one line is m, then the slope of the other line is -1/m. You can also check by graphing the lines and seeing if they form a right angle where they intersect.

3. Can two parallel lines have a product of slopes that is equal to -1?

No, two parallel lines have equal slopes, so their product will always be equal to 1. Only perpendicular lines have a product of slopes that is equal to -1.

4. What is the significance of the product of perpendicular slopes being equal to -1?

The product of perpendicular slopes being equal to -1 is a property of perpendicular lines. This property is helpful in determining if two lines are perpendicular, solving equations involving perpendicular lines, and finding the equations of perpendicular lines.

5. How does the product of perpendicular slopes relate to the angles formed by the lines?

The product of perpendicular slopes is related to the angles formed by the lines by the fact that it is equal to the tangent of the angle between the lines. This means that if the product of slopes is equal to -1, the angle between the lines is 90 degrees (or pi/2 radians).