Permutation as a Product of Transposition

In summary, the conversation is about proving a theorem that states every permutation S_n where n>1 is a product of 2 cycles. The person is confused about the proof and asks for help. The suggested proof is to write each permutation as a product of cycles and then explain how each cycle is a product of transpositions. The person is still unclear about how the formula was derived.
liger123
hi guys.. can you help me prove this theorem?
Every permutation S_n where n>1 is a product of 2 cycles..
i got a little confused with some books' proof..thnx

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show some work you've done on this?

The proof that comes to mind for me is to write each permutation as a product of cycles (you know how to do this, right?), and then you can explicitly describe how each cycle is a product of transpositions. For example, (1234) = (14)(13)(12).

Yes, the thing that i don't understand is how the formula was derived. this is the formula
(a_1, a_k) (a_1, a_k-1) ... (a_1, a_2).

Related to Permutation as a Product of Transposition

1. What is a permutation as a product of transposition?

A permutation as a product of transposition is a mathematical concept that represents a rearrangement or reordering of a set of elements. It is expressed as a sequence of transpositions, which are operations that swap the position of two elements in the set.

2. How is a permutation as a product of transposition written?

A permutation as a product of transposition is typically written in cycle notation, where the elements in the set are enclosed in parentheses and separated by commas. For example, (1,2)(3,4) represents a permutation that swaps the positions of 1 and 2, and 3 and 4 in the set.

3. What is the significance of using transpositions in permutations?

Using transpositions in permutations allows for a more efficient way of representing and understanding rearrangements of elements in a set. It also allows for easier calculations and analysis of permutations.

4. Can any permutation be expressed as a product of transposition?

Yes, any permutation can be expressed as a product of transposition. This is known as the decomposition theorem, which states that any permutation can be written as a sequence of transpositions.

5. How is a permutation as a product of transposition calculated?

A permutation as a product of transposition can be calculated by breaking down the permutation into cycles and then expressing each cycle as a sequence of transpositions. The order in which the transpositions are performed does not affect the final result.