Periodic motion -- Potential as a function of a non-linear Force(x)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of potential function and total energy in a system, as well as their relationship to kinetic energy and position. The conversation also addresses the question of where a particle can be located with a given negative energy.
davon806

Homework Statement

Please see the attached.I don't know how to do (ai).

potential function is the potential energy defined by f = -dV/dx
e is the total energy of the system where
e = KE + PE
= (dx/dt)^2 /2 + V

Note:m=1 because the particle has a unit mass
If you integrate f,you get V(the PE),which is -9/x + 18/x^2 :
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=+-+9/x+++18/x^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually sketched the graph as given on the above website,clearly if e is positive then V must be negative,which is shown on the graph when x--->infinity,this is the answer to part (aii).But for a(i) I have no idea,because I haven't met a negative total mechanical energy before.
What I thought is:
KE + V = -e
KE is always positive,leaving V = -e-KE,
This means PE is always negative,but from (aii) I show that V is negative if x--->infinity.In fact,
V = -9/x + 18/x^2 = (18-9x) / x^2.

i.e. V<0 if x>2

If this is the case then in V = -e-Ke we need to have x>2 all the time,which doesn't make sense.Moreover this is the answer to (aii),e>0

Would greatly appreciate if someone can give me an idea what's going on

Thanks

Attachments

• periodic motion.jpg
    periodic motion.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 380
Physics news on Phys.org
For a given negative energy e<0, where can the particle be? Can it move to infinity? If not, how does its motion have to look like, e. g. if its initial motion is in positive x-direction?
davon806 said:
If this is the case then in V = -e-Ke we need to have x>2 all the time
True. Where is the problem?

thx

Related to Periodic motion -- Potential as a function of a non-linear Force(x)

What is periodic motion?

Periodic motion is a type of motion where an object repeats the same pattern over and over again in a specific time interval. This can be seen in objects such as pendulums, springs, and planets orbiting around the sun.

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object has due to its position or condition. In the case of a non-linear force, the potential energy of an object can change as its position changes due to the varying force acting upon it.

How is potential energy related to non-linear force?

In the context of periodic motion, the potential energy of an object is directly related to the non-linear force acting upon it. As the force changes, the potential energy of the object will also change, resulting in a non-linear relationship between potential energy and force.

What is the function of potential energy in non-linear force?

The function of potential energy in non-linear force is to show how the potential energy of an object changes as its position changes due to the non-linear force acting upon it. This allows for a better understanding of the relationship between potential energy and force in periodic motion.

How is the potential energy graph related to the non-linear force graph?

The potential energy graph and the non-linear force graph are directly related as they both depict the relationship between potential energy and force in periodic motion. The shape and characteristics of the potential energy graph will mirror those of the non-linear force graph, providing insight into the behavior of the system.