Period of simple orbit in central potential

In summary, the correct formula for the area of an orbit is A = (LT/2m) + (∫θr(dr/dt)dt), where L is the angular momentum, m is the mass, T is the period of revolution, and θ is the angle subtended by the section of the orbit. The incorrect formula assumes a constant radius, while the correct formula considers the changing radius and takes into account the tensor quantity of moment of inertia.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
In Symon's book 'Mechanics', he writes that for a body of mass m and angular momentum L in an orbit that does not intersect itself (i.e. a simple curve), the period of revolution T is related to the area A of the orbit by

[tex]T=\frac{2Am}{L}[/tex]

Is this exact as he seems to be implying? It seems to me that the correct formula would be obtained by considering the area S of a section of circle, and saying that the area of the orbit is related to the period of revolution by

[tex]A=\int_0^T \frac{dS}{dt}dt = \int_0^T \frac{1}{2}r^2 \frac{d\theta}{dt}dt + \int_0^T \theta r\frac{dr}{dt}dt = \frac{L}{2m}\int_0^T dt + \int_0^T \theta r\frac{dr}{dt}dt = \frac{LT}{2m} + \int_0^T \theta r\frac{dr}{dt}dt[/tex]

Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
quasar987 said:
In Symon's book 'Mechanics', he writes that for a body of mass m and angular momentum L in an orbit that does not intersect itself (i.e. a simple curve), the period of revolution T is related to the area A of the orbit by

[tex]T=\frac{2Am}{L}[/tex]

Is this exact as he seems to be implying? It seems to me that the correct formula would be obtained by considering the area S of a section of circle, and saying that the area of the orbit is related to the period of revolution by

[tex]A=\int_0^T \frac{dS}{dt}dt = \int_0^T \frac{1}{2}r^2 \frac{d\theta}{dt}dt + \int_0^T \theta r\frac{dr}{dt}dt = \frac{L}{2m}\int_0^T dt + \int_0^T \theta r\frac{dr}{dt}dt = \frac{LT}{2m} + \int_0^T \theta r\frac{dr}{dt}dt[/tex]

Am I missing something?
The element of area swept out in time dt, where the radius is changing is not a right triangle. So the area dS is not 1/2 rdr. The area is [itex]1/2 rdr sin\beta[/itex] where [itex]\beta[/itex] is the angle that [itex]d\vec r[/itex] makes to [itex]\vec r[/itex]. In other words [itex]dS = 1/2 \vec r \times \vec{dr}[/itex]

Since:[itex]L = m\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}\times \vec{r}[/itex]:

[tex]Area = \int_0^T \frac{dS}{dt}dt = \int_0^T \frac{1}{2}\vec{r}\times \frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}dt = \int_0^T \frac{L}{2m}dt = \frac{LT}{2m}[/tex]

AM

Last edited:
I see what you're doing. You're taking S as the area of a triangle, while I was taking S as the area of a section. I figure since the area of a section subtended by and angle [itex]\theta[/itex] is

[tex]S = \frac{1}{2}\theta r^2[/tex]

then

[tex]\frac{dS}{dt}=\frac{1}{2}r^2 \frac{d\theta}{dt} + r\frac{dr}{dt}\theta[/tex]

Why is this wrong?

i think the problem probably is, in your derivation you assumed that:

[tex]\vec{L}=\frac{1}{2}mr^2\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex]
which isn't valid when r is not constant. the moment of inertia should become a tensor quantity. Since in the above derivation, it is assumed that [tex]v=\omega r[/tex], however, when r is not constant, omeaga should be:
[tex]\omega=\frac{\vec{r}\times{\vec{v}}}{r^2}[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Period of simple orbit in central potential

What is the period of a simple orbit in a central potential?

The period of a simple orbit in a central potential is the time it takes for a planet or other object to complete one full revolution around the central body. It is determined by the object's distance from the central body, its mass, and the strength of the central potential.

How is the period of a simple orbit calculated?

The period of a simple orbit can be calculated using Kepler's third law, which states that the square of the orbital period is proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of the orbit. This can be expressed as:
T^2 = 4π^2(a^3/GM)
Where T is the period, a is the semi-major axis, G is the gravitational constant, and M is the mass of the central body.

What factors can affect the period of a simple orbit?

The period of a simple orbit can be affected by the distance between the orbiting object and the central body, the mass of the central body, and the strength of the central potential. Additionally, any external forces acting on the orbiting object, such as gravitational pulls from other objects, can also affect the period.

Can the period of a simple orbit change over time?

Yes, the period of a simple orbit can change over time. This can occur due to factors such as changes in the mass or position of the central body, or interactions with other objects in the system. However, for a stable orbit, the period will remain relatively constant.

How does the period of a simple orbit relate to the speed of the orbiting object?

The period of a simple orbit and the speed of the orbiting object are inversely related. This means that as the period increases, the speed decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by Kepler's second law, which states that a planet will move faster when it is closer to the central body and slower when it is farther away.