Period of a Sine Wave: Understand How to Measure in Radians

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of period in functions and how it can be measured in both units of time and radians. It explains how doubling the angular frequency of a function can lead to a halved period, and how this can be viewed as a change in either the scale or the object being measured. Additionally, it addresses the confusion about measuring periods in radians and clarifies that it is a dimensionless quantity that can be used to measure both angles and distances.
NickTheFill
Dear all
Something is bugging me. I hope you can help.

I read in texts that if f(t) = sin(t) then the period of the function is the time taken (secs) to complete one cycle.
I also read in texts that if f(t) = sin(2t) then the period of the halved.
No problems here. I see that (2*t) = (omega*t). Happy days.

I also read in texts that if f(x) = sin(x) then the period of the function is 2pi radians.
and that if f(x) = sin(2x) then the period of the function is pi radians.

How can this happen? How can we measure a period in radians? How can a full cycle be anything other than 2pi radians anyway?

I am going round in circles...

Thanks for reading.

Nick

Mathematics news on Phys.org
NickTheFill said:
Dear all
Something is bugging me. I hope you can help.

I read in texts that if f(t) = sin(t) then the period of the function is the time taken (secs) to complete one cycle.
I also read in texts that if f(t) = sin(2t) then the period of the halved.
No problems here. I see that (2*t) = (omega*t). Happy days.

I also read in texts that if f(x) = sin(x) then the period of the function is 2pi radians.
and that if f(x) = sin(2x) then the period of the function is pi radians.

How can this happen? How can we measure a period in radians? How can a full cycle be anything other than 2pi radians anyway?
You've already said it: by running through the circle at doubled speed. In this case, the parameter ##t## is simply a measurement of time and not an angle. It is twice the angle so you reach the full circle after ##\pi## units of time. Either you consider the period as purely the distance (measured by whatever unit) between two maximums, or by an angle in which case the factor two has to be part of the drawing. It is basically the standard question with coordinates: does the scale change or the object? One can look at it both ways, but not both at the same time.
I am going round in circles...

Thanks for reading.

Nick

Thanks for the swift reply
fresh_42 said:
It is twice the angle so you reach the full circle after ππ\pi units of time.
. My mind looks at this as twice the angular frequency not twice the angle, so the particle completes a full cycle of 2pi radians in half the time. If the period happens to be 2pi seconds then with twice the angular frequency the period is now pi seconds.

It is the reference to measuring periods in radians that i do not understand as a full cycle can only ever be 2pi radians.

If we are talking about measuring a distance, would that not be be wavelengths?

NickTheFill said:
. My mind looks at this as twice the angular frequency not twice the angle, so the particle completes a full cycle of 2pi radians in half the time. If the period happens to be 2pi seconds then with twice the angular frequency the period is now pi seconds.

It is the reference to measuring periods in radians that i do not understand as a full cycle can only ever be 2pi radians.
You combine two different concepts here: period and angle. Radians are simply a dimensionless quantity, a number. You can use it to measure angles, if a full circle is partitioned in ##2\pi ## steps, or as the period of ##\sin \omega t##, in which case you partitioned named period into only ##\pi## steps, if ##\omega = 2##.
That's a possibility. But on a circle, this distance will depend on radius (usually ##1##) and angular velocity ##\omega##. Again, it is the concept of measurement you're dealing with: units and coordinates. It's as in the movie: Honey, I shrunk the kids. You can view it as a shrinkage from the point of an unchanged environment or as an enlargement, from the point of the shrunken object. Either way is possible, but not at the same time.

If we say ##\varphi = 2 \pi [\text{radians}]## is the angle of a full circle, then ##\varphi = \pi [\text{radians}_{new}]## is also a full circle, but this time, we measured in ##\text{radians}_{new} = 2\cdot \text{radians}##, and the new radians is not the same angle as the old one. It is a different unit.

NickTheFill said:

There's a difference between the period of a function and the period of the variable. When you talk about the period of a function that is the change in the variable that causes the function values to repeat.

If we say ##\varphi = 2 \pi [\text{radians}]## is the angle of a full circle, then ##\varphi = \pi [\text{radians}_{new}]## is also a full circle, but this time, we measured in ##\text{radians}_{new} = 2\cdot \text{radians}##, and the new radians is not the same angle as the old one. It is a different unit.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I think this point is where my confusion lies. A radian is an SI derived unit and I treat it like a kg or a second, it is 57.3 degrees. So to say π radians can be the angle of a full circle is just not cricket!

If we say the x-axis is the angle, then the period of one oscillation of a sine wave is only ever 2π radians and the only distance traveled is an angular distance.

If we say the x-axis is time, then the period of one oscillation can be anything depending on the angular frequency of the oscillation.

PeroK said:
There's a difference between the period of a function and the period of the variable. When you talk about the period of a function that is the change in the variable that causes the function values to repeat.
Never thought about the period of a variable. I'm not sure my mind is up to that! I consider an independent variable to be just that and the dependent variable a function of it. It is the nature of the function that causes the periodic nature not the nature of the independent variable.

Related to Period of a Sine Wave: Understand How to Measure in Radians

What is the period of a sine wave?

The period of a sine wave is the amount of time it takes for the wave to complete one full cycle. It is often represented by the symbol "T" and is measured in seconds.

How is the period of a sine wave measured?

The period of a sine wave can be measured in either radians or degrees. In radians, it is measured as the distance between two consecutive points on the wave where the sine function has the same value. In degrees, it is measured as the angle between two consecutive points on the wave where the sine function has the same value.

What is the relationship between radians and degrees in measuring the period of a sine wave?

There are 2π radians in a full circle, or 360 degrees. This means that 2π radians is equivalent to 360 degrees, and therefore, 1 radian is equivalent to 360/2π = 180/π degrees. In other words, to convert from radians to degrees, multiply by 180/π, and to convert from degrees to radians, multiply by π/180.

Why is it important to understand how to measure the period of a sine wave in radians?

Measuring the period of a sine wave in radians allows for more precise and accurate calculations and comparisons. It also allows for easier visualization and analysis of the wave's behavior and characteristics, as radians are a natural unit for measuring angles in circular motion.

Can the period of a sine wave be changed?

Yes, the period of a sine wave can be changed by adjusting its frequency. The frequency of a sine wave is the number of complete cycles it completes in one second and is measured in Hertz (Hz). A higher frequency will result in a shorter period, and a lower frequency will result in a longer period.