PERES LAWHow does Ampere's Law relate to electromagnetism?

In summary, the problem involves an engine with 26% efficiency raising a 6-kg crate from rest to a vertical height of 11 m and a speed of 5 m/s. The necessary heat input for this process is calculated to be 647.46J, but this does not take into account the work required to give the load kinetic energy. After including this calculation, the final heat input is found to be 722.46J.
mikefitz

Homework Statement

An engine works at 26% efficiency. The engine raises a 6-kg crate from rest to a vertical height of 11 m, at which point the crate has a speed of 5 m/s. How much heat input is required for this engine?

Homework Equations

e=work output / heat input = W/Qin
W=Fd

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume the velocity is insignificant since W=Fd; W=(6*.981)*(11)= 647.46J

.26=647.46J/Qin
Qin=.0004016 J

the value for calculated heat is wayy too low; where did I screw up? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
mikefitz said:

Homework Statement

An engine works at 26% efficiency. The engine raises a 6-kg crate from rest to a vertical height of 11 m, at which point the crate has a speed of 5 m/s. How much heat input is required for this engine?

Homework Equations

e=work output / heat input = W/Qin
W=Fd

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume the velocity is insignificant since W=Fd; W=(6*.981)*(11)= 647.46J

.26=647.46J/Qin
Qin=.0004016 J

the value for calculated heat is wayy too low; where did I screw up? Thanks
For starters, you have calculated 1/Qin not Qin.

You are also ignoring the work that is required to give the load the kinetic energy. Add that to your calculation for W and then do the algebra properly and you will be fine.

AM

for KE do I just say that delta E = 1/2mv^2 + mgh = W = eQ ?

.5(6kg)(5^2)= 75J

mgh = 647.46J
What do i do with these two values?

mikefitz said:
for KE do I just say that delta E = 1/2mv^2 + mgh = W = eQ ?
Looks good to me.

.5(6kg)(5^2)= 75J

mgh = 647.46J
What do i do with these two values?
Why not put them into your equation and find Q?

AM

Related to PERES LAWHow does Ampere's Law relate to electromagnetism?

What is a heat engine?

A heat engine is a device that converts heat energy into mechanical work. It operates on the principle of the conversion of heat into work, known as the first law of thermodynamics.

How does a heat engine work?

A heat engine works by taking in heat energy from a high temperature source, using it to do mechanical work, and then releasing the remaining heat energy to a lower temperature sink. This process is repeated continuously to produce a continuous output of work.

What are the different types of heat engines?

The two main types of heat engines are external combustion engines, such as steam engines, and internal combustion engines, such as gasoline and diesel engines. Other types include Stirling engines, gas turbines, and jet engines.

What is the efficiency of a heat engine?

The efficiency of a heat engine is the ratio of the work output to the heat energy input. It is always less than 100% due to the second law of thermodynamics, which states that some energy will always be lost as heat in the conversion process.

What are some real-life applications of heat engines?

Heat engines are used in various industries, including transportation (cars, airplanes, trains), power generation (steam turbines, gas turbines), and manufacturing (refrigerators, air conditioners). They are also used in everyday household appliances, such as ovens, hair dryers, and lawn mowers.