Percentages and fractions - turning them upside down?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of average abundance of gold in the Earth's crust and how it can be represented as a fraction. The confusion arises when trying to understand the significance of taking the reciprocal of the fraction and its application in finding the amount of crust for a given amount of gold. The conversation concludes with an explanation of the correct equation to use and an example for better understanding.
Spaceghost1

Homework Statement

Hello, I have a workbook here with a question I am a little confused about, I think it should be quite simple to answer. I know the answer but I don't really understand how it is applied. I know the method but I want clarification on how it works please.

The average abundance of gold in the Earth's crust is 4.0 x 10-7%. This means that there is 4.0 x 10-7
kg of gold in 100 kg of the the crust or:

4.0 x 10-7 kg
_____________ as a fraction.
100 kg

Now this is where I get confused.

Doing the fraction

100 kg

tells me that there is 1 kg of gold in 2.5 x 108kg of crust. So basically the fraction has just been turned upside down (is there a proper term for doing this?) but why does the answer tell me how much crust comes from 1 kg of gold? Where did 1 come from?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's called taking the reciprocal and it works like this:

If we have the gold:crust ratio (or fraction) as being x:100 (in this case, 4.0 x 10-7 : 100) then it is also the same to say that we have x/100 : 1 (we divided both sides by 100, if you prefer fractions it works just the same).

[tex]\frac{4.0\cdot 10^{-7}}{100}=\frac{(4.0\cdot 10^{-7})/100}{100/100}=\frac{4.0\cdot 10^{-9}}{1}[/tex]

Ok now so we have 4.0 x 10-9 kg of gold for every kg of crust. But what if we wanted to know how much crust we have for every kg of gold?

All we do is solve this equation:

[tex]\frac{4.0\cdot 10^{-9}}{1}=\frac{1}{x}[/tex]

Where x is the amount of crust. This equation in words says there is a tiny amount of gold in every unit of crust, which is equivalent to a unit of gold in a large portion of crust. All you have to do is solve for x now and you'll see that you've taken the reciprocal of the fraction.

Thank for your help, I understand it now. For the last equation I think you meant to say x is the amount of gold rather than crust?

There is 4.0·10-9 kg of gold in every kg of crust.
This is the same as saying that one kg of crust contains 4.0·10-9 kg of gold.

That means 2 kg of crust contains 2·4.0·10-9 kg of gold, and 3 kg of crust contains 3·4.0·10-9 kg of gold.
If we let x be how many kg of crust there is, then: x kg of crust contains x·4.0·10-9 kg of gold.

Lets say you want to know how much crust there would be if there were 1 kg of gold inside.
We know that x kg of crust contains x·4.0·10-9 kg of gold, and we want there to be 1 kg of gold.
This means that: x·4.0·10-9 = 1
Divide both sides by 4.0·10-9 and we get:
[tex]x=\frac{1}{4.0\cdot 10^{-9}}[/tex]
And as I said above, x is how many kg of crust there is.

Spaceghost1 said:
Thank for your help, I understand it now. For the last equation I think you meant to say x is the amount of gold rather than crust?

No I still stand by what I said. In that equation, we are trying to find the amount of crust (given the variable x) such that there is 1kg of gold in it, given that there is 4.0[itex]\cdot[/itex]10-9kg of gold in 1kg of crust. Algebraically and maybe even intuitively you can show that [tex]x=\frac{1}{4.0\cdot 10^{-9}}=2.5\cdot 10^8[/tex].

You can think about it a little more to get a better understanding of it using different numbers. If we have half of the 1kg crust made out of gold, then we have 1kg of gold in 1/half or 2kg of crust.
0.1kg of gold in 1kg of crust gives 1/0.1=10kg of crust with 1kg of gold.

etc.

Related to Percentages and fractions - turning them upside down?

1. What is the difference between a percentage and a fraction?

A percentage is a way of expressing a part of a whole as a fraction of 100. A fraction, on the other hand, is a numerical representation of a part of a whole. For example, 25% is the same as 1/4.

2. How do you convert a percentage to a fraction?

To convert a percentage to a fraction, divide the percentage by 100 and simplify the resulting fraction. For example, to convert 25% to a fraction, divide 25 by 100 to get 0.25. Then, simplify 0.25 to 1/4.

3. Can a fraction be greater than 1?

Yes, a fraction can be greater than 1. This happens when the numerator (top number) is larger than the denominator (bottom number). For example, 5/4 is a fraction that is greater than 1.

4. How do you convert a fraction to a percentage?

To convert a fraction to a percentage, divide the numerator by the denominator, then multiply by 100. For example, to convert 3/4 to a percentage, divide 3 by 4 to get 0.75. Then, multiply 0.75 by 100 to get 75%.

5. How are percentages and fractions used in real life?

Percentages and fractions are used in many everyday situations, such as calculating discounts, interest rates, and taxes. They are also used in science and research to represent data and results. In finance, they are used to track stock market changes and profits. In cooking, they are used to measure ingredients and adjust recipes. Overall, percentages and fractions are important tools for understanding and representing parts of a whole.