Percentage error in Maxwellian distribution.

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the percentage error in computing the average kinetic energy of a molecule using the formula ½mc2. The conversation also includes the use of Maxwell's velocity distribution to compute the average or mean speed and the equation for standard deviation. The person asking the question is not familiar with the statistical aspect and asks for further explanation.
debjit625

Homework Statement

In computing the average kinetic energy of a molecule obeying Maxwellian distribution one use the formula ½mc2 .Calculate the percentage error incurred in the calculation.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here c is the average velocity of a molecule obeying Maxwellian distribution which I can calculate which is √(8KT/πm), but I have no idea how to calculate the percentage error so no attempt has been made.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello debjit,

What equation did you use to calculate the average kinetic energy ?
Do you know the equation for the standard deviation ?

Thanks for the reply BvU.
I used Maxwell's velocity distribution to compute average or mean speed

Maxwell's velocity distribution
dNc = 4πN(m/2πkT)3/2e-(mc2/2kT)c2dc

From this I computed the average or mean speed
c' = 1/N ( o cdNc)

c' = √(8kT/πm)

"Do you know the equation for the standard deviation ?"
Well I am not very much good at the statistical part ,so if you kindly explain it it will be very helpful.

Thanks

debjit625 said:
Well I am not very much good at the statistical part ,so if you kindly explain it it will be very helpful
Well, you can always look it up ...
usually you do something like ##<x^2> - <x>^2##, so you're halfway already :smile:

Related to Percentage error in Maxwellian distribution.

1. What is percentage error in Maxwellian distribution?

Percentage error in Maxwellian distribution refers to the difference between the theoretical predictions and the actual values obtained from experimental measurements. It is expressed as a percentage of the theoretical value and is used to evaluate the accuracy of the Maxwellian distribution model.

2. How is percentage error calculated in Maxwellian distribution?

The percentage error in Maxwellian distribution is calculated by taking the absolute value of the difference between the theoretical and experimental values, dividing it by the theoretical value, and then multiplying by 100 to get the percentage.

3. What is an acceptable range of percentage error in Maxwellian distribution?

There is no specific acceptable range for percentage error in Maxwellian distribution as it depends on the level of accuracy required for the experiment. Generally, a lower percentage error indicates a more accurate result.

4. What factors can contribute to percentage error in Maxwellian distribution?

Percentage error in Maxwellian distribution can be caused by a variety of factors such as experimental errors, instrumental errors, human error, and limitations of the Maxwellian distribution model itself.

5. How can percentage error in Maxwellian distribution be minimized?

To minimize percentage error in Maxwellian distribution, it is important to carefully design and conduct experiments, use accurate and precise instruments, and consider the limitations of the Maxwellian distribution model. Repetition of experiments and using more advanced statistical tools can also help reduce percentage error.