Percentage Composition of Mixture

In summary, a mixture of calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate with a mass of 10.000g was heated to constant mass, with the final mass being 5.096g. Using decomposition equations and the fact that the ratios of moles in these reactions is 1:1:1 for both decompositions, the percentage compositions of the mixture by mass are 38.3% CaCO3 and 61.7% MgCO3. This is based on the calculations that the mass of CaCO3 is 3.83g and the mass of MgCO3 is 6.17g. However, the supposed correct answer is 43.8% CaCO3 and 56.2% MgCO3.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member

Homework Statement

"A mixture of calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate with a mass of 10.000g was heated to constant mass, with the final mass being 5.096g. Calculate the percentage composition of the mixture, by mass."

Homework Equations

Decomposition equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my method, but it's not getting the supposed correct answer.

Decomposition of both substances;

[tex]CaCO_{3} \rightarrow{} CaO + CO_{2}[/tex]
[tex]MgCO_{3} \rightarrow{} MgO + CO_{2}[/tex]

Let the number of moles of CaCO3 = A
Let the number of moles of MgCO3 = B

Since [itex]n = \frac{m}{M_{r}}[/itex], then, using the fact that the total initial mass of the mixture is 10g;

[tex]100.1A + 84.3B = 10[/tex]

100.1 is the Mr of CaCO3, 84.3 is the Mr of MgCO3.

Since the final mass is 5.096g (not including the CO2 formed), then;

56.1A + 40.3B = 5.096

We can do this because the ratios of moles in these reactions is 1:1:1 for both decompositions, as shown above. So we have a system of equations to solve. Solving, you get;

A = 0.038252013(...)
B = 0.073202531(...)

Mass of CaCO3 = n*Mr = 100.1A = 3.83g (3 s.f.)
Mass of MgCO3 = n*Mr = 84.3B = 6.17g (3 s.f.)

Therefore, the percentage compositions of the mixture by mass are 38.3% CaCO3 and 61.7% MgCO3.

Yet, my answer is supposedly wrong, since it's supposed to be 43.8% CaCO3 and 56.2% MgCO3...

I can't see anything wrong with my method; can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks to me like your method and your result are correct.

Compare:

CaCO3MgCO3.png

Check if mass of the solid left agrees with the data for the answer given.

Related to Percentage Composition of Mixture

1. What is percentage composition of a mixture?

The percentage composition of a mixture is the relative amount of each component in the mixture. It is expressed as a percentage of the total mass or volume of the mixture.

2. How is percentage composition of a mixture calculated?

The percentage composition of a mixture is calculated by dividing the mass or volume of each component by the total mass or volume of the mixture, and then multiplying by 100 to express it as a percentage.

3. Why is knowing the percentage composition of a mixture important?

Knowing the percentage composition of a mixture is important because it allows us to understand the properties and behavior of the mixture. It also helps in determining the appropriate proportions of components for a desired outcome.

4. Can the percentage composition of a mixture change?

Yes, the percentage composition of a mixture can change. It can change due to physical processes such as evaporation or filtration, or chemical reactions between the components.

5. How is the percentage composition of a mixture used in everyday life?

The percentage composition of a mixture is used in a variety of everyday life situations. For example, in cooking, knowing the percentage composition of ingredients in a recipe can help in making adjustments for taste and texture. In industrial processes, the percentage composition of a mixture is important for quality control and ensuring the desired outcome is achieved. It is also used in chemistry experiments and analysis to determine the purity of substances.