Pendulum & Partition Function Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the partition function in a pendulum system using the Hamiltonian and temperature. The equations for finding the values of <θ>, <θ^2>, <v>, and <v^2> are presented, with the integral equations for each value. The solution involves using the definition of mean value for a system and solving for each value.
emc201
1. A pendulum of mass m hangs from a weightless string of length l
The string makes an angle θ with the vertical

Find
(i) <θ>
(ii) <θ^2>
(iii) <v>
(iiii) <v^2>

Homework Equations

The Hamiltonian in terms of θ and the angular momentum L=

H= L^2/2ml^2 + mgl(1-cosθ)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the Hamiltonian derived for the pendulum
I am unsure how to derive the partition function in terms of the angular momentum and θ from the equation
Z=e^(-βH) where H is the Hamiltonian and β=1/T

Physics news on Phys.org
where T is the temperature. From there I believe I can use the definition of the mean value for a system to solve for each of the required values. (i) <θ> = (1/Z) ∫_0^2π e^(-βH) θ dθ (ii) <θ^2> = (1/Z) ∫_0^2π e^(-βH) (θ^2) dθ (iii) <v> = (1/Z) ∫_0^2π e^(-βH) v dθ (iv) <v^2> = (1/Z) ∫_0^2π e^(-βH) (v^2) dθ

Related to Pendulum & Partition Function Problem

1. What is a pendulum and how does it relate to the partition function problem?

A pendulum is a simple apparatus consisting of a weight suspended from a fixed point that can swing back and forth under the influence of gravity. The partition function problem involves calculating the statistical mechanics of a system with many particles, and the behavior of a pendulum can be described using this problem.

2. What is the partition function and why is it important in physics?

The partition function is a mathematical function used in statistical mechanics to describe the probability of a system being in a certain state. It is important in physics because it allows us to calculate thermodynamic properties of a system, such as energy and entropy.

3. How is the partition function problem solved?

The partition function problem is solved by using statistical mechanics principles, such as the Boltzmann distribution and the canonical ensemble. These principles allow us to calculate the partition function and then use it to determine the thermodynamic properties of the system.

4. What is the role of the partition function in understanding phase transitions?

The partition function is crucial in understanding phase transitions because it allows us to determine the critical temperature at which a phase transition occurs. By analyzing the behavior of the partition function near this critical temperature, we can gain insight into the nature of the phase transition.

5. What are some real-world applications of the partition function problem?

The partition function problem has many real-world applications, including in the study of chemical reactions, magnetic properties of materials, and the behavior of gases. It is also used in fields such as astrophysics, where it helps to understand the behavior of stars and galaxies.