Peer-reviewed case study of how an ideal universe would work

In summary, the protagonist is trying to get his son to stop using magic and his son is not allowed to use magic anymore. The protagonist is upset because his son is using magic and the son is not allowed to use magic anymore.
Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
“No!” he snapped. “You don't get it! You're allowed to disagree with me, I want you to disagree with me! I'd love to engage in reasoned debate with you. But until you take the trouble to understand what you're talking about, you're not allowed science any more. Now, roll up your sleeve.”
Perhaps we should use this as inspiration for the rules :-p
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v489/n7414/full/489170a.html

Space news on Phys.org
Hmm...interesting, but the writers forgot that Sacha is a boy's name.

Ben Niehoff said:
Hmm...interesting, but the writers forgot that Sacha is a boy's name.

Not necessarily. http://www.toniandguy.com/pages/article/22

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked it. That's exactly what frustrates me the most about people who thinks science is "wrong", that they need only to look around themselves and they will find a million technical gadgets that would be impossible without a very thorough understanding and the correctness of sciences. There's so many proofs that science works that it must be a case of can't see the woods because of the trees.

You're both wrong, Sacha isn't really a name at all. It's pretty obvious from the way ants price eggs and shoes buckle sideways froth. Abalone.

Buahaha! Love the link! It hits the bulls-eye on the problem with some people.

“This is outrageous!” snarled Sacha. “How can this happen?”

“Oh, that's easy,” said James. “Magic.”

“Magic?” said Sacha, her eyes suddenly shining. “You mean there's really such a thing?”

“Of course not. But I can't explain to you how it's really done because you're not allowed science any more.”

Brilliant!

I understand the sentiments of this "joke", but when asked a question like that the scientist or person giving the injection should point out the specific list of complications (they do have these kinds of warnings though, but they aren't highlighted effectively since they would most likely "scare" people and for good reason).

Also a real scientist would be able to justify the probability in a highly systematic way, and based on the way I've seen some scientists abuse statistics (and just apply them without having any real idea of what they are doing), I'm not going to hold my breath.

chiro said:
I understand the sentiments of this "joke", but when asked a question like that the scientist or person giving the injection should point out the specific list of complications (they do have these kinds of warnings though, but they aren't highlighted effectively since they would most likely "scare" people and for good reason).

He did have a list, he just wasn't allowed to explain anything as the woman kept interrupting him.

Drakkith said:
He did have a list, he just wasn't allowed to explain anything as the woman kept interrupting him.

I say this though because this happens in real life (has happened in my experience).

I have had a doctor in the past try and prescribe something and when I ask doctor about said side effects I get the line "it will be ok, nothing to worry about": I don't take that BS from anyone even if they are wearing a stethoscope and have a fancy framed piece of paper on the wall.

I want to say emphatically that not all doctors are like this and don't wish to generalize in any way, but it is important to be aware that people get in situations like this all the time and sometimes staying sharp and being a little bit anal is going to help you out a lot.

A lot of people get screwed because they get the illusion that somebody else knows best simply because they have a stethoscope, a suit, or a nice smile and a lot of confidence.

I'm not advocating being a jerk or acting like a puritan as if they thought that the doctor was doing the work of the devil, but I do advocate people have the guts to question anybody especially if it's a major decision or something they put into their body and unforunately this doesn't happen since people just "go along with anything" a lot of the time.

Chiro, it's a fictional story making a specific point, not a "trust me, I'm a doctor" statement.

Related to Peer-reviewed case study of how an ideal universe would work

1. What is a peer-reviewed case study?

A peer-reviewed case study is a research article that has been evaluated and approved by a panel of experts in the field. This process ensures that the study's methods, results, and conclusions are of high quality and credibility.

2. What is an ideal universe?

An ideal universe is a hypothetical concept that describes a perfect and harmonious world where everything functions perfectly without any problems or conflicts. It is often used as a thought experiment to explore the possibilities and limitations of our own universe.

3. What are some key features of an ideal universe?

An ideal universe would have perfect laws of nature that govern the behavior of all matter and energy, resulting in a stable and predictable environment. There would also be no scarcity of resources, no suffering, and no negative emotions or conflicts among its inhabitants.

4. How would an ideal universe differ from our own?

An ideal universe would differ from our own in many ways. For example, our universe is constantly changing and evolving, while an ideal universe would remain in a state of perfect equilibrium. Additionally, our universe is full of imperfections and limitations, whereas an ideal universe would have none.

5. Can an ideal universe ever exist?

It is highly unlikely that an ideal universe could ever exist in reality. Our current understanding of science and the laws of nature suggest that such a universe would be impossible to create or sustain. However, studying the concept of an ideal universe can help us better understand our own universe and the potential for improvement and progress within it.