Peer Instruction: A Revolutionary Teaching Method

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fantini
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Instruction
In summary, the conversation was about the Peer Instruction method, which one of the participants was not familiar with until they watched a video about it. The method was found to be interesting and it highlights the common experience of learning new concepts through discussions and sharing personal difficulties.
Fantini
Gold Member
MHB
Hey guys! I'm not sure if you are familiar with the Peer Instruction method (I wasn't), and after watching the following video it has blown my mind.

What do you guys think of it?

Cheers! (Clapping)

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems interesting , I will try to watch it all . Thanks for sharing the video ,

It is quite long, so I understand if few people took the time to watch it all the way (I know I haven't done so with Randy Pausch's lectures posted by Ackbach!). I found it interesting because it highlights an effect I see frequently here: it is not uncommon for someone to come with a question and someone else answer it commenting about their own difficulties with the first time they encountered the subject, thus shedding light on issues about learning those concepts. :D

Related to Peer Instruction: A Revolutionary Teaching Method

1. What is Peer Instruction?

Peer Instruction is a teaching method developed by Harvard professor Eric Mazur. It involves students discussing and explaining concepts to each other in a structured format, with guidance from the instructor.

2. How does Peer Instruction differ from traditional teaching methods?

Unlike traditional teaching methods where the instructor lectures and students listen passively, Peer Instruction encourages active learning and engagement through peer discussions and interactions.

3. What are the benefits of using Peer Instruction?

Research has shown that Peer Instruction can lead to increased student engagement, improved understanding and retention of concepts, and better critical thinking skills. It also promotes a collaborative learning environment and can help students build communication and teamwork skills.

4. How do you implement Peer Instruction in a classroom setting?

To implement Peer Instruction, the instructor first presents a concept or question to the class. Students then have time to think and individually answer the question, followed by discussing their answers with their peers in small groups. The instructor then facilitates a class-wide discussion and provides further explanation and clarification as needed.

5. Can Peer Instruction be used in all subject areas?

Yes, Peer Instruction can be used in a variety of subject areas and has been proven effective in both STEM and non-STEM fields. It is a versatile teaching method that can be adapted to fit different learning objectives and topics.