Peculiar Opamp circuit behavior

In summary, the opamp circuit was given in the homework forum. If the circuit is analyzed with one change to ideality, namely the opamp voltage gain is set to 7 rather than ∞, the calculated overall circuit gain, Vout/Vin, is greater than 7. This is because positive feedback will increase the gain of an inherently low gain device.
The Electrician
Gold Member
An opamp circuit was given in the homework forum:

attachment.php?attachmentid=58430&stc=1&d=1367529007.jpg

There the circuit was analyzed with the usual assumptions of opamp ideality.

But, if the circuit is analyzed with one change to ideality, namely the opamp voltage gain is set to 7 rather than ∞ (this brings with it the change that v+ ≠ v- any more), the calculated overall circuit gain, Vout/Vin, is greater than 7.

How can this be?

I think I know the answer, but I pose this for the readers to think about and discuss.

Edit: I forgot to mention this: Exchange the + and - opamp inputs (or set the opamp gain to -7).

Attachments

• OpAmpCircuit.jpg
    OpAmpCircuit.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 500
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I follow. I think you're saying there's something odd about the gain from Vin to Vout being greater than the open-loop gain of the opamp. If that's the case, why do you think that?

Also, for an opamp open-loop gain of 7 (with its terminals swapped), I get a gain of -27.2 from Vin to Vout.

That's kinda how self saturating magnetic amplifiers work and it's a nice basic concept to have in your bag of tricks..

Positive feedback will increase the gain of an inherently low gain device.
If you take that positive-feedback-enhanced device and surround it with some negative feedback, you have treated it as an op-amp.
The old timers called them "Servomechannisms".

The Electrician said:
But, if the circuit is analyzed with one change to ideality, namely the opamp voltage gain is set to 7 rather than ∞ (this brings with it the change that v+ ≠ v- any more), the calculated overall circuit gain, Vout/Vin, is greater than 7.
When the OP-AMP here is ideal and has a gain of precisely 7 3/7 then
I think we find that Vout/Vin computes to infinity.

Looking good! :smile:

milesyoung said:
I'm not sure I follow. I think you're saying there's something odd about the gain from Vin to Vout being greater than the open-loop gain of the opamp. If that's the case, why do you think that?.

Why don't you think that?

The Electrician said:
Why don't you think that?
Because that's not all that unusual for systems with positive feedback. For an ideal opamp with its output fed back into its noninverting input and its inverting input used as the system input, we have:

[tex]V_\mathrm{out} = A(V_+ - V_-) = A(X V_\mathrm{out} - V_\mathrm{in}) \Leftrightarrow \frac{V_\mathrm{out}}{V_\mathrm{in}} = \frac{A}{A X - 1}[/tex]
where X, 0 < X ≤ 1, is the positive feedback gain and A > 0.

For Vout/Vin > A, you'd just need 0 < AX - 1 < 1 ⇔ 1/A < X < 2/A.

For the circuit you posted, we have:
[tex]V_\mathrm{out} = A(V_+ - V_-) = A(X V_\mathrm{out} - Y V_\mathrm{out} - Z V_\mathrm{in}) \Leftrightarrow \frac{V_\mathrm{out}}{V_\mathrm{in}} = \frac{A Z}{A(X - Y) - 1}[/tex]
and for Vout/Vin > A, you'd need 0 < A(X - Y) - 1 < Z ⇔ 1/A < X - Y < (Z + 1)/A.

You must then have X > Y, i.e. net positive feedback.

Related to Peculiar Opamp circuit behavior

1. What is an op amp?

An op amp, short for operational amplifier, is an electronic circuit component that amplifies the difference between two input voltages. It is commonly used in analog circuits for various signal processing applications.

2. Why do op amps exhibit peculiar behavior?

Op amps can exhibit peculiar behavior due to a variety of factors, including component tolerances, input offset voltages, and power supply limitations. They also have non-ideal characteristics such as finite gain, bandwidth, and input/output impedance, which can affect their performance.

3. How can I troubleshoot peculiar op amp circuit behavior?

To troubleshoot peculiar op amp circuit behavior, it is important to check the circuit design, component values, and connections. You may also need to measure the input and output voltages, as well as the power supply voltages, to identify any discrepancies or abnormalities.

4. What are some common issues that can cause peculiar op amp behavior?

Some common issues that can cause peculiar op amp behavior include incorrect component values, improper biasing, unstable power supply voltages, and environmental factors such as temperature and electromagnetic interference.

5. How can I improve the performance of my op amp circuit?

To improve the performance of an op amp circuit, you can use precision components with tighter tolerances, properly bias the op amp, and provide stable power supply voltages. You can also implement compensation techniques such as frequency compensation and feedback to reduce the effects of non-ideal characteristics.