PDF of multimodal circular data

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a probability density function for circular and multimodal data using a kernel density estimate with von Mises distribution. The process involves fitting a von Mises function to each data point and summing the results, followed by dividing each point by the integral of the distribution. However, there is an issue with the integration process, as the resulting maximum value in the pdf is larger than 1. The conversation also mentions the Bingham distribution and its use in constructing probability distributions over the space of rotations. Additionally, there is a mention of a talent competition for making World Wide history.
funcosed
Hi,
I have a data vector that consists of directions measured in an experiment. I wish to create a probability density function. As the data is circular and multimodal I use a kernel density estimate with von Mises distribution (essentially a Gaussian on the unit circle) as the basis function. I fit a von Mises function to each data point and sum the results to obtain a smooth distribution. To obtain a probability density I simply divide each point in the distribution by the integral of the whole distribution. However, my results seem odd after the integration as the maximum value in the pdf is larger than 1. I think it might be related to how I do the integration, I use the trapezoid rule (I work in python so it's numpys trapz command) but I am not sure if this is appropriate for circular data. Has anyone out there had this problem before? any advice??

Physics news on Phys.org
For N = 4, the Bingham distribution is a distribution over the space of unit quaternions. Since a unit quaternion corresponds to a rotation matrix, the Bingham distribution for N = 4 can be used to construct probability distributions over the space of rotations, just like the Matrix-von Mises–Fisher distribution. And for those with talent relative <link deleted> wanting to make World Wide history ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to PDF of multimodal circular data

1. What is a PDF of multimodal circular data?

A PDF (Probability Density Function) of multimodal circular data is a statistical measure that describes the distribution of data points around a circle, taking into account multiple modes or peaks in the data. It is often used in fields such as biology, meteorology, and astronomy to analyze circular data, such as wind directions or animal migration patterns.

2. How is a PDF of multimodal circular data different from a traditional PDF?

A traditional PDF describes the distribution of data in a linear or one-dimensional space, while a PDF of multimodal circular data takes into account the circular nature of the data. This means that instead of a single peak, there may be multiple peaks or modes in the distribution, which would not be accurately captured by a traditional PDF.

3. How is a PDF of multimodal circular data calculated?

There are several methods for calculating a PDF of multimodal circular data, but one common approach is to use a kernel density estimation. This involves smoothing the data and estimating the density at various points around the circle, taking into account the circular nature of the data. Other methods include fitting a mixture of circular distributions or using a Fourier series to model the data.

4. What is the significance of multimodality in circular data?

Multimodality in circular data can indicate the presence of distinct patterns or behaviors. For example, in meteorology, multiple modes in wind direction data could represent different prevailing wind patterns in a given area. In biology, it could indicate different migratory paths of animals. Understanding the multimodality of circular data can provide valuable insights and inform further analysis.

5. How is a PDF of multimodal circular data used in practical applications?

A PDF of multimodal circular data can be used in a variety of practical applications, such as analyzing weather patterns, understanding animal behavior, and studying human movement and navigation. It can also be used for decision-making processes, such as determining the best location for a wind farm or predicting the spread of a disease. Additionally, it can aid in the interpretation and visualization of circular data, allowing for a more comprehensive understanding of the underlying patterns and distributions.