PDE and finding a general solution

In summary: Thanks!In summary, the conversation is about finding a solution to v=α_{1}(τ)ε + α_{0}(τ) where α_{1} and α_{0} are unknown constants. The author is having trouble understanding some of the notation and is looking for someone to help them.
meghibbert17
Hi everyone,

I am doing a sheet on Asian Options and The Black Scholes equation.

I have the PDE,

[itex]\frac{∂v}{∂τ}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]σ^{2}[/itex][itex]\frac{X^{2}}{S^{2}}[/itex][itex]\frac{∂^{2}v}{∂ε^{2}}[/itex] + ([itex]\frac{1}{T}[/itex] + (r-D)X)[itex]\frac{∂v}{∂ε}[/itex]

I have to seek a solultion of the form v=[itex]α_{1}[/itex](τ)ε + [itex]α_{0}[/itex](τ) and determine the general solution for [itex]α_{1}[/itex](τ) and [itex]α_{0}[/itex](τ).

We are given that ε=[itex]\frac{I}{TS}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{X}{S}[/itex], τ=T-t and V(S, I, t)=[itex]e^{-Dτ}[/itex]Sv(ε, τ)

Can anybody help me with this problem?
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
meghibbert17 said:
Hi everyone,

I am doing a sheet on Asian Options and The Black Scholes equation.

I have the PDE,

[itex]\frac{∂v}{∂τ}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]σ^{2}[/itex][itex]\frac{X^{2}}{S^{2}}[/itex][itex]\frac{∂^{2}v}{∂ε^{2}}[/itex] + ([itex]\frac{1}{T}[/itex] + (r-D)X)[itex]\frac{∂v}{∂ε}[/itex]=0

I have to seek a solultion of the form v=[itex]α_{1}[/itex](τ)ε + [itex]α_{0}[/itex](τ) and determine the general solution for [itex]α_{1}[/itex](τ) and [itex]α_{0}[/itex](τ).

We are given that ε=[itex]\frac{I}{TS}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{X}{S}[/itex], τ=T-t and V(S, I, t)=[itex]e^{-Dτ}[/itex]Sv(ε, τ)

Can anybody help me with this problem?
Thanks

Hi meghibbert17 !

several notations are not clear enough. For exemple three different typographies for "v".
What exactly is the list of variables and the list of constants ?
In the first equation, are you sure that dv/dr = 0 ?

Hello,

Sorry, I am new to this and it does look rather messy!

in the first equation it is not dv/dr but dv/d(tau).

All the v's in the equation are the same as the v=[itex]α_{1}[/itex](τ)ε + [itex]α_{0}[/itex](τ) which we are seeking a solution for and then V(S, I, t) = e−DτSv(ε, τ).

Incase it is also not clear, its tau = T-t
Is that any clearer? Thankyou

Sorry, I cannot understand what are the constants and what are the variables and the functions.
Moreover, I see that dV/d(tau)=0 in the first equation. And V is a function of (tau) in the given relationship V(S,I,t)=exp(-D*tau)*S*V(epsilon,tau). This is in contradiction.
All this is too messy for me. I hope that someone else could help you.

for sharing your question with us. The equation you have provided is known as the Black Scholes equation, which is a partial differential equation (PDE) commonly used in finance to determine the theoretical value of European-style options. It is a highly important equation in the field of mathematical finance and has many applications in the financial industry.

In order to solve this PDE, you have correctly identified the need to find a general solution for the variables α_{1}(τ) and α_{0}(τ). This can be done by using the method of separation of variables, where you assume that the solution can be expressed as a product of two functions, one depending only on τ and the other only on ε.

You have also provided us with the conditions for ε and τ, which will help in solving the equation. I would recommend consulting a textbook or seeking guidance from a professor or colleague to find the general solution for α_{1}(τ) and α_{0}(τ) using the method of separation of variables. This will involve solving two ordinary differential equations and then combining the solutions to obtain the general solution for the Black Scholes equation.

I hope this helps and good luck with your sheet on Asian Options and the Black Scholes equation. Keep exploring and learning about PDEs and their applications in finance and other areas of science.

Related to PDE and finding a general solution

1. What is a PDE and how is it different from an ODE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a mathematical equation that involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. It is used to model physical phenomena that vary in space and time. An ODE, or ordinary differential equation, only involves one independent variable and its derivatives.

2. How do you find a general solution to a PDE?

To find a general solution to a PDE, you need to use a combination of mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, Fourier transforms, and Green's functions. The specific method used depends on the type of PDE and its boundary conditions.

3. What are the boundary conditions and why are they important in solving a PDE?

Boundary conditions are conditions that specify the behavior of a solution at the boundaries of the domain. They are important because they help determine the specific solution to the PDE, as the general solution will satisfy the boundary conditions.

4. Can every PDE be solved analytically?

No, not every PDE can be solved analytically. In some cases, the PDE may be too complex or not have a closed-form solution. In these cases, numerical methods must be used to approximate a solution.

5. How are PDEs used in real-world applications?

PDEs are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance to model and understand complex systems. They are also used in computer simulations to predict the behavior of physical systems and in image and signal processing for data analysis and noise reduction.