Pauli matrices and the Levi-Civita tensor : commutation relations

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding multiplying Pauli matrices and using a Levi-Cevita symbol. One of the speakers suggests starting by multiplying each possible combination of the matrices and factoring out a 1 or -1. The other speaker suggests checking the commutation relation and fixing the incorrect matrix.
Dixanadu

Homework Statement

Whats up guys!

I've got this question typed up in Word cos I reckon its faster:
http://imageshack.com/a/img5/2286/br30.jpg

Homework Equations

I don't know of any

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start! can u guys help me out please?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can start by multiplying each possible combination of pauli matrices. Do that and factor out a 1 or -1, which can be replaced with a Levi-Cevita symbol. Use i = 1, j = 2, k = 3.

Sure, just check it by putting the matrices into the commutation relation. For example, show ##[\sigma_1,\sigma_2]=\sigma_1 \sigma_2-\sigma_2 \sigma_1=i\sigma_3##. But it's not going work very well until you fix ##\sigma_3##. That's not a Pauli matrix.

Related to Pauli matrices and the Levi-Civita tensor : commutation relations

1. What are Pauli matrices and the Levi-Civita tensor?

Pauli matrices are a set of three 2x2 complex matrices named after physicist Wolfgang Pauli. They are commonly used in quantum mechanics to represent spin operators for spin-1/2 particles. The Levi-Civita tensor, also known as the permutation tensor, is a mathematical object used to describe the properties of geometric objects in three-dimensional space.

2. What are the commutation relations between Pauli matrices and the Levi-Civita tensor?

The commutation relations between Pauli matrices and the Levi-Civita tensor involve the cross product and anti-commutativity. Specifically, the cross product of two Pauli matrices results in the third Pauli matrix, while the anti-commutativity of the Pauli matrices with the Levi-Civita tensor results in a scalar multiple of the identity matrix.

3. How are the commutation relations between Pauli matrices and the Levi-Civita tensor used in physics?

The commutation relations between Pauli matrices and the Levi-Civita tensor are used in various areas of physics, including quantum mechanics, quantum field theory, and electromagnetism. They are particularly useful in calculating spin operators, determining the properties of particles, and solving equations of motion.

4. Are there any other applications of the commutation relations between Pauli matrices and the Levi-Civita tensor?

Yes, the commutation relations between Pauli matrices and the Levi-Civita tensor have been found to have applications in other fields such as computer graphics, cryptography, and signal processing. They are also used in the study of mathematical objects known as Lie algebras.

5. What is the significance of the commutation relations between Pauli matrices and the Levi-Civita tensor?

The commutation relations between Pauli matrices and the Levi-Civita tensor are significant because they reveal the underlying symmetries and structures in physical systems. They also play a crucial role in the mathematical framework of quantum mechanics, allowing for the description and prediction of particle behavior at the microscopic level.